What "New Thing" are you going to try on your reef tank this year?

Are you planning to try something new with your reef this year?

• Yes (let us know what)

Votes: 242 65.8%
  • No (let us know why)

Votes: 90 24.5%
  • Possibly (let us know why)

Votes: 36 9.8%

• Total voters

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cool thing about this hobby is that there are a million ways to do the same thing! Or so it seems. :)

Since this is a hobby and something we do for fun getting to a place where it's "set it and forget it" is not always the most fun or most successful. Sometimes but not all the time!

That being said what "new thing" are you going to try this year? (approach, method, equipment, aquascape, species etc.)

Untitled-1.jpg

image via @ChristopherKriens
Pretty boring, but I’m adding an invert quarantine tank soon.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m going to try adding a zebra moray to my 180 gallon reef tank. I’ve had dwarf goldens and loved them but are a bit small for me. In the process of gathering info on the zebra and prepping my reef for a good sized eel.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I will not be doing anything new until my seahorses live out their natural lives, which is probably 3-5 years. Then I will use their tank as a display macro algae tank or as a holding tank for my livestock, while I make changes to the 56g.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Different RO unit as well as a possible lighting change

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new thing was the Klir filter, that was a mistake. While it does remove some, so much detritus passes by and it clogs up my pumps. I think it may be one of the worst purchases I've made in this hobby, pretty disappointed so I will be removing it. I'd like to try filter cups with floss.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my 1st world wide coral, it’s a grafted montipora, I hope to add trident this year if released, but otherwise stick with what I am doing because it’s finally working!

99E58AEA-DD1E-4452-8C5F-A22C5C195537.jpeg

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year will be 16 years in the hobby. This year I want to try a bare bottom reef. Although Ive always used sand and am scared of not enough bacteria surface.

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try to make my apex controll a bubble magnus skimmer.

The current power using has a push on off button, and if the apex powers it off, it dosn’t come back on.

I have a dc driver from a previous project, and i a hoping of being able to integrate it so i can use the varable 1-10V ports to control the magnituted of the power supplied to the skimmer.

Right now i am waiting for what i hope are the right power connector plugs.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an Apex PMK for my tanks so I can actually set my lights to where they need to be. Took 5 years but yea I got one. Found out I was running my new lights at only about 150 par!!! :confused:

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of selling some frags to save up for an alktronics tester and switch back to SPS. Leathers and softies are too easy... no satisfaction, lol. Im like of course they are growing like weeds, they're supposed to!

patrsnracn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPSIZING!
After 3yrs of my 1st and successful run with a 40 breeder reef tank w/sump LPS, softies and one SPS, just picked up a used older 80 gal with sump. Going to run them both for awhile then break down the smaller one. also have a 75gal Fish only

Last edited:

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently introducing 3x juvenile yellow fusilier (16in max) to my 6’, 210g... like an idiot... so how long until 2020?

Jerry greux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hypnotize my wife into letting me buy more STUFF ;Smuggrin or at the very least convince her, it will some how improve my quality of life... ergo her getting more shoes :rolleyes:
Try wish.com bought my wife 15 pairs of shoes for a few bucks and got twice that on my return???? I was shocked. She never ever bought anything for my tank...she leaves it up 2 me but one day we were at lfs and she bought 2 ...$100 clams a and 2 large softies.....what the heck? Confused as he'll I was. All I could think is what does she want, who is coming to visit or is this a dam dream!!!! Woke up the next day n they are still here?

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automatically dosing trace elements and building/installing a new DIY arduino-based controller for a JBJ Nano Cube 28g that's been running for 2.5 years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back