What Power Blocks/Strips Are You Using?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Before ReefKeeper and Apex units, I used Zoomed and corallife Power strips with timer controller Built in.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dont have a power strip yet (waiting for it to be shipped) but couldnt you just replace the faulty switch with new one? Really quick search, switch looks to be $5. So as long as 6 or less switches go, still cheaper to replace switches than buy a new bar. Like I said i dont have bar in front of me, so there could be something I am missing.

Edit: Found a switch for less than $2 a switch, so even better, as long as it is not pain to take out and replace.
I've never opened one up to see if replacing them is possible, but since the whole unit isn't that much, I figure it's just easier to junk them and move on.

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this Technical Pro PS9U power supply, the lights no longer work and the switch I was using for the S1 pump is finicky. Sometimes it turns off and other times it doesn't and goes right back to the on position. Therefore I would not recommend this brand power supply and I am looking to replace it with a better quality rack mount unit which has individual on/off switches for each outlet.

All recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I am looking for something just like this. I'm on the fence what to get. Are you still running this unit or switch to something else?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a good single outlet with a timer? I want to set a schedule for my fuge light and my T5 channels but I already have an american DJ rackmount power center (like whats posted above) so I dont need/want a new power strip but I'm also tired of bulky mechanical timers. Appreciate any suggestions!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa power plug lets you schedule the plug thru a phone app and turn it on and off from the app to. The 6 outlet power strip does all this plus you can create scenes. So you can set up water change scenes turning off and on the items you want during a water change.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Kasa power plug lets you schedule the plug thru a phone app and turn it on and off from the app to. The 6 outlet power strip does all this plus you can create scenes. So you can set up water change scenes turning off and on the items you want during a water change.
I looked online at the smart plug, but couldn't find out if it has a on/off button on the unit to do things manually.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked online at the smart plug, but couldn't find out if it has a on/off button on the unit to do things manually.

It does. It is on the side. There are different styles, but I'm pretty they all have a manual on/off button.

1577469355179.png

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a good single outlet with a timer? I want to set a schedule for my fuge light and my T5 channels but I already have an american DJ rackmount power center (like whats posted above) so I dont need/want a new power strip but I'm also tired of bulky mechanical timers. Appreciate any suggestions!
I am a fan of the Kasa smart power strip and also their smart plugs. The smart plugs are smaller than traditional mechanical timers, but they may still block adjacent outlets if you are using them on a power strip. It may depend on the orientation of the outlets on the strip. Just wanted to point that out.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the power strip to replace a normal power strip. An they do have manual on/off switches. But using the app is so much easier.

tuesdayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Kasa power strips as well, and like them for all the reasons started above. I'll add another benefit...Alexa or Google Assistant.

"Alexa, turn on the sump lights."
Or
"Hey Google, turn off the ATO."

Or whatever you setup.

No need to flip switches or break out the phone. Just say it as you're walking over to the tank.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scene possibles are endless, all voice waves controlled! The auto water change with voice assistant is crazy cool!

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the brand and the switches are good but 7 outlets limits you. Also I would something a little sleeker looking like the rack mount strips.
Yeah, I use mine in addition to an Apex, so mine isn't full. Otherwise, I would need an second one.

Don't judge my cable management...

20191227_153749.jpg

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does. It is on the side. There are different styles, but I'm pretty they all have a manual on/off button.

1577469355179.png

When I run into something that covers more than one power strip outlet, I have either purchased or made a 3 to 12 inch extension cord. then add the bulky Item. It can add to your cord management though. I know this wont work in all situations but it has worked for me in the past.

ztorrico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Kasa Smart Wifi power strip! It is app controlled by also does have manual switches as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back