What Power Blocks/Strips Are You Using?

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a TP-Link Kasa Smart Power Strip. It works great for lights, pumps, etc. I also used one for my BRS dosing pump when I was carbon dosing.

Word of caution though regarding using this for dosing pumps...about 8 pm one day last week I had a power outage. My lights are programmed to turn off at 9 pm, using the Smart Power Strip. About 9:30 the power was restored. My lights came back on, even though it was after 9. The power strip apparently only takes "action", such as turning on or off, at the programmed time. Since there was no power at 9 pm, there was no signal to turn the lights off. They would have been on all night, once power was restored, if I didn't take manual action to turn them off. No biggie for lights or pumps, but if the power failure happened while the dosing pump was running, and power came back on after the scheduled "off" time, you could end up dosing way more than intended. I know the odds are slim that a power failure would coincide with the brief time a dosing pump runs, but the consequences could be disasterous. So if you want to use one of these with a dosing pump, I would recommend running the power strip off a UPS.
1567804602072.png
I use those power strips for other applications, and to solve that problem you mention, I have program several off time after the time I want then to be off, and the same with on position, if for reason the power strip can't execute the order, I'll be a next order down the road.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking to get an American DJ power strip as I have just emptied a guitar effects rack. But, I am thinking I may just find a way to do a DIY project in it for lighted switched outlets. The rack itself was a DIY so I figured just maybe.. Has anyone done anything similar?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking to get an American DJ power strip as I have just emptied a guitar effects rack. But, I am thinking I may just find a way to do a DIY project in it for lighted switched outlets. The rack itself was a DIY so I figured just maybe.. Has anyone done anything similar?

I haven't done any diy, but my new build will include an ADJ power strip. It'll be nice to be able to turn the power on/off to each piece of equipment with the flick of a switch.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use those power strips for other applications, and to solve that problem you mention, I have program several off time after the time I want then to be off, and the same with on position, if for reason the power strip can't execute the order, I'll be a next order down the road.
Great solution!

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done any diy, but my new build will include an ADJ power strip. It'll be nice to be able to turn the power on/off to each piece of equipment with the flick of a switch.

I’m currently looking for a new rack mount power supply. I have the same ADJ that you have and it has lasted only 1 year. 3 of the switches are already toast. I hope you have better luck than I.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cant beat DJ power strips. I have two rows of them and 100% dependable and lights tell you what is on and off

1585429069583.png

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beltek main with switches for everything that needs to be turned off regularly like for water changes and a wifi strip for things that need to be on timers like the refugium light and and it's fan, soon I'll have a skimmer on a timer as well.

20200126_152932.jpg

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently looking for a new rack mount power supply. I have the same ADJ that you have and it has lasted only 1 year. 3 of the switches are already toast. I hope you have better luck than I.

For the $$, if it last 1 year, i am good. Heck, i change out the heating elements. whether good or bad, every year.;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back