What Power Blocks/Strips Are You Using?

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just interested in what you folks are using for power strips ? At some point I will get a Neptune system, but that’s a ways down the road! So what’s the goto product that you can recommend ?

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a TP-Link Kasa Smart Power Strip. It works great for lights, pumps, etc. I also used one for my BRS dosing pump when I was carbon dosing.

Word of caution though regarding using this for dosing pumps...about 8 pm one day last week I had a power outage. My lights are programmed to turn off at 9 pm, using the Smart Power Strip. About 9:30 the power was restored. My lights came back on, even though it was after 9. The power strip apparently only takes "action", such as turning on or off, at the programmed time. Since there was no power at 9 pm, there was no signal to turn the lights off. They would have been on all night, once power was restored, if I didn't take manual action to turn them off. No biggie for lights or pumps, but if the power failure happened while the dosing pump was running, and power came back on after the scheduled "off" time, you could end up dosing way more than intended. I know the odds are slim that a power failure would coincide with the brief time a dosing pump runs, but the consequences could be disasterous. So if you want to use one of these with a dosing pump, I would recommend running the power strip off a UPS.
1567804602072.png

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m just using DJ Powerstrips plugged into a GFI. I’m doing the same thing holding off on buying a controller until down the road that’s a big investment.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use a TP-Link Kasa Smart Power Strip. It works great for lights, pumps, etc. I also used one for my BRS dosing pump when I was carbon dosing.

Word of caution though regarding using this for dosing pumps...about 8 pm one day last week I had a power outage. My lights are programmed to turn off at 9 pm, using the Smart Power Strip. About 9:30 the power was restored. My lights came back on, even though it was after 9. The power strip apparently only takes "action", such as turning on or off, at the programmed time. Since there was no power at 9 pm, there was no signal to turn the lights off. They would have been on all night, once power was restored, if I didn't take manual action to turn them off. No biggie for lights or pumps, but if the power failure happened while the dosing pump was running, and power came back on after the scheduled "off" time, you could end up dosing way more than intended. I know the odds are slim that a power failure would coincide with the brief time a dosing pump runs, but the consequences could be disasterous. So if you want to use one of these with a dosing pump, I would recommend running the power strip off a UPS.
1567804602072.png
I think these would save a ton of space not dealing with light timers, but I like the ability to switch on or off the specific light with a flip of a switch. At least with the light timer there is a switch.

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Kasa power strips. You can also group outlets together so you can turn equipment on or off all the once. So grouping the return pump, skimmer, and powerheads into a "Water change" group means you press 1 button before doing a water change and 1 button after the water change.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these would save a ton of space not dealing with light timers, but I like the ability to switch on or off the specific light with a flip of a switch. At least with the light timer there is a switch.
If you look at the box in the image I posted above, you can see small round buttons just above and to the left of each receptacle. Those are push buttons to manually turn things on and off.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a coralife digital power strip. Been in service since at least early 2000. Never had problem, but really not widely used at our tank level.

@mfinn , that is an awesome set up. I may totally steal that

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use a coralife digital power strip. Been in service since at least early 2000. Never had problem, but really not widely used at our tank level.

@mfinn , that is an awesome set up. I may totally steal that
I use those on all 3 of my tanks

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you look at the box in the image I posted above, you can see small round buttons just above and to the left of each receptacle. Those are push buttons to manually turn things on and off.
Thank-you for pointing that out.

Sometimes when I'm at my computer and want to find something in my tank in that room, I'll flip on one of the reef brite strips.
That will do the trick for me.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the phone app the Kasa powerstrip can be monitored from anywhere. Allowing you to turn off or on a socket. There is an on/off switch for each socket too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back