What Power Blocks/Strips Are You Using?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything with individual switches for each outlet I think is important. Regardless if it's WiFi enabled or not. When I'm at the tank I hate fidgeting for my phone or iPad. I just want to flip the skimmer off.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies thus far! Just an observation, there are a lot of you folks that are using WIFI strips, but I am trying to get my head around why? Unless I am missing how they work? My lights will have an app, my return pump I can control via an app that leaves the skimmer. Whats the advantage of the wireless strips? Are you able to remotely turn and off just one of the outlets on the strip? That's where I see it be advantageous!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for all the replies thus far! Just an observation, there are a lot of you folks that are using WIFI strips, but I am trying to get my head around why? Unless I am missing how they work? My lights will have an app, my return pump I can control via an app that leaves the skimmer. Whats the advantage of the wireless strips? Are you able to remotely turn and off just one of the outlets on the strip? That's where I see it be advantageous!
I think it may have partly to do with the ability to control it with a phone.

For me it would be the timer control app and not dealing with power strip hogging timers.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may have partly to do with the ability to control it with a phone.

For me it would be the timer control app and not dealing with power strip hogging timers.
If your stuff is already app-controlled, you may not benefit from a wifi strip or something similar. A lot of equipment does not have a controller. I have black box lights (no app or controller). I don't have a controller for my powerheads. Fuge light, fan above the tank, etc...all with no controller. So I had a bunch of timers that controlled all my equipment. If there was a power failure, I had to readjust the timers. Daylight savings time, had to readjust the timers. It wasn't a huge deal, but not very efficient either. So now I have a simple, unobtrusive, easy to operate power strip that allows me to set individual timers for all of my equipment that requires a timer. Automatically keeps the right time due to the app. Allows me to start and stop equipment with my phone or by simply pushing a button. It's not an Apex, and I'm not trying to say it is as good as one. But if you want to gain improved control of your system and get rid of multiple individual timers, then this is a simple, inexpensive way to do it. And to be honest, I rarely us the app. As mfinn said, I use it primarily as a replacement for a handful of timers.

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a TP-Link Kasa Smart Power Strip. It works great for lights, pumps, etc. I also used one for my BRS dosing pump when I was carbon dosing.

Word of caution though regarding using this for dosing pumps...about 8 pm one day last week I had a power outage. My lights are programmed to turn off at 9 pm, using the Smart Power Strip. About 9:30 the power was restored. My lights came back on, even though it was after 9. The power strip apparently only takes "action", such as turning on or off, at the programmed time. Since there was no power at 9 pm, there was no signal to turn the lights off. They would have been on all night, once power was restored, if I didn't take manual action to turn them off. No biggie for lights or pumps, but if the power failure happened while the dosing pump was running, and power came back on after the scheduled "off" time, you could end up dosing way more than intended. I know the odds are slim that a power failure would coincide with the brief time a dosing pump runs, but the consequences could be disasterous. So if you want to use one of these with a dosing pump, I would recommend running the power strip off a UPS.
1567804602072.png
I use these as well!

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Technical Pro PS9U rack mount power supply which has 9 120V 3-prong plug sockets with individual on/off switches and one USB charging port. The individual on/off switches are a ”must have” feature for me.

AAC7D43C-0A4B-4E46-A417-85040F056E31.jpeg

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just interested in what you folks are using for power strips ? At some point I will get a Neptune system, but that’s a ways down the road! So what’s the goto product that you can recommend ?
That's a great question, especially as we expand our systems. Right now mine is small (75g), and I don't have anything fancy, so I'm just using a GE power strip with built in surge protector and plenty of available outlets that I mounted on the wall behind my tank to allow for drip loops below it.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these would save a ton of space not dealing with light timers, but I like the ability to switch on or off the specific light with a flip of a switch. At least with the light timer there is a switch.

open the app and flip the switch

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Technical Pro PS9U rack mount power supply which has 9 120V 3-prong plug sockets with individual on/off switches and one USB charging port. The individual on/off switches are a ”must have” feature for me.

AAC7D43C-0A4B-4E46-A417-85040F056E31.jpeg

Update on this Technical Pro PS9U power supply, the lights no longer work and the switch I was using for the S1 pump is finicky. Sometimes it turns off and other times it doesn't and goes right back to the on position. Therefore I would not recommend this brand power supply and I am looking to replace it with a better quality rack mount unit which has individual on/off switches for each outlet.

All recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tripp Lite 8 Outlet Safety Power Strip, 12ft Cord with GFCI 5-15P Plug, Hang Holes (TLM812GF)

and
iClever Outdoor Smart Plug IC-BS06 Wi-Fi Smart Switch, Wireless Remote Control Garden/Patio Lights, Timer Outlet, Works with Alexa/Google Assistant, Only Support 2.4GHz Wi-Fi [CNET/Wirecutter's Pick]

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Update on this Technical Pro PS9U power supply, the lights no longer work and the switch I was using for the S1 pump is finicky. Sometimes it turns off and other times it doesn't and goes right back to the on position. Therefore I would not recommend this brand power supply and I am looking to replace it with a better quality rack mount unit which has individual on/off switches for each outlet.

All recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I find that I'm changing out my American DJ brand power strips about every 1-1/2 -2 years, because of that issue.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that I'm changing out my American DJ brand power strips about every 1-1/2 -2 years, because of that issue.

The Technical Pro PS9U allowed me to move the 2 mounting plates as seen in my picture so it made for a simple installation to the side wall of my cabinet. Most rack mounts don't allow you to do this. :(

IMG_1823.jpeg

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the Kasa strip. The individual timers are set it and forget it for my lights.
I do not use the app regularly at all.

there is an easy to press button by each switch and when I go to clean or do water changes etc, I just hit the last button to turn off my slimmer and keep moving.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont have a power strip yet (waiting for it to be shipped) but couldnt you just replace the faulty switch with new one? Really quick search, switch looks to be $5. So as long as 6 or less switches go, still cheaper to replace switches than buy a new bar. Like I said i dont have bar in front of me, so there could be something I am missing.

Edit: Found a switch for less than $2 a switch, so even better, as long as it is not pain to take out and replace.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a TP-Link Kasa Smart Power Strip. It works great for lights, pumps, etc. I also used one for my BRS dosing pump when I was carbon dosing.

Word of caution though regarding using this for dosing pumps...about 8 pm one day last week I had a power outage. My lights are programmed to turn off at 9 pm, using the Smart Power Strip. About 9:30 the power was restored. My lights came back on, even though it was after 9. The power strip apparently only takes "action", such as turning on or off, at the programmed time. Since there was no power at 9 pm, there was no signal to turn the lights off. They would have been on all night, once power was restored, if I didn't take manual action to turn them off. No biggie for lights or pumps, but if the power failure happened while the dosing pump was running, and power came back on after the scheduled "off" time, you could end up dosing way more than intended. I know the odds are slim that a power failure would coincide with the brief time a dosing pump runs, but the consequences could be disasterous. So if you want to use one of these with a dosing pump, I would recommend running the power strip off a UPS.
1567804602072.png

Dang I wish I would have seen the 6 outlet wifi strip before I got these.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back