What Problems Will I Likely Face Turning My 5 Gallon Into an SPS Dominant Tank?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done well with digis...it's acros that I've only tried a few times in a different system that STNd over like 2 or 3 weeks...what do you think about strawberry shortcakes?
That’s happened to me w certain acropora. It’s inevitable. Shortcake is a classic color old school acro. I don’t have any atm. An older image but center of system w old school acro
IMG_9340.jpeg
IMG_9384.png

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
That’s happened to me w certain acropora. It’s inevitable. Shortcake is a classic color old school acro. I don’t have any atm. An older image but center of system w old school acro
IMG_9340.jpeg
IMG_9384.png
They're really beautiful...are they considered on the harder side of Acros? Also, should I jump right in with the special discount for 5 pieces or buy just 2 or 3 first?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SSC can be hard to color up or to keep their coloration.
Anyways.. I think I would not add a shortcake when you never had success with Acros before.

Go for slimers and tricolors.. for me, millies do the best.. i like them because they have the pretty polyps.

But you will have alk swings when they get larger and I think just weekly WC's wont be enough to keep up with the alk, calc and mag consumption. Acros do like stability... and I think only doing waterchanges wont be the stability they like.

If you never had success with acros before I think the plan to try them in a 5 gallon tank is a pretty though one. The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep the tank stable though.
@livinlifeinBKK u can do it. Lol.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SSC can be hard to color up or to keep their coloration.
Anyways.. I think I would not add a shortcake when you never had success with Acros before.

Go for slimers and tricolors.. for me, millies do the best.. i like them because they have the pretty polyps.

But you will have alk swings when they get larger and I think just weekly WC's wont be enough to keep up with the alk, calc and mag consumption. Acros do like stability... and I think only doing waterchanges wont be the stability they like.

If you never had success with acros before I think the plan to try them in a 5 gallon tank is a pretty though one. The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep the tank stable though.
I do have liquid alk supplements I can add a couple drops in the morning if needed and test daily...they're small frags as well

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
T

They're really beautiful...are they considered on the harder side of Acros? Also, should I jump right in with the special discount for 5 pieces or buy just 2 or 3 first?
The shortcakes can b challenging like most acropora. But a good captive source w healthy frags can help w their success. I wouldn’t go wild or mariculture.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just test for your daily consumption and not just "add a couple drops daily".
When you know your consumption then you know how much to add daily.

But yeah just try it. Nano Acro tanks are hard.. I consider mine a nano too :D

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just test for your daily consumption and not just "add a couple drops daily".
When you know your consumption then you know how much to add daily.

But yeah just try it. Nano Acro tanks are hard.. I consider mine a nano too :D
Yeah, I wouldn't just randomly add any supplement without knowing exactly how much I need to maintain stability haha

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me the same problems as with bigger systems, impulsive buys, corals thrivig and trying to kill each other, wishing you had gone with a bigger tank . . . :D
If I was too impulsive, I would've bought 10 by now at these prices as testers! I actually scaled down my tanks for the time being. A 5 gallon and a pico are enough for me at this busy time in my life.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I was too impulsive, I would've bought 10 by now at these prices as testers! I actually scaled down my tanks for the time being. A 5 gallon and a pico are enough for me at this busy time in my life.
@livinlifeinBKK brother i know from ur history here and posts u are not an impulse reefer and should have success with this new nano.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@livinlifeinBKK brother i know from ur history here and posts u are not an impulse reefer and should have success with this new nano.
Thank you for your faith in me! I'm tempted daily looking through all that's posted for sale at great prices! If it were you, would you go for the deal for 5 pieces that I can choose from that I posted earlier or just try 2 or 3 pieces at first?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Idk ur budget or the prices of the corals listed but if u know the seller u could ask for a reasonable deal. I’d start w a couple and go from there. Hey. If I were selling with the guarantee for repeat business I’d look u out. Just sayin.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk ur budget or the prices of the corals listed but if u know the seller u could ask for a reasonable deal. I’d start w a couple and go from there. Hey. If I were selling with the guarantee for repeat business I’d look u out. Just sayin.
People don't like me saying the prices but I will anyway because I'm looking for advice...any 5 of those corals I posted earlier for the equivalent of about $56 USD. If I buy fewer than 5 it would be about $15 USD each.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 5g, I top off the RODI daily and test everything else weekly. My tank naturally runs cold so I have to heat it to 77°. Stability is often cited as the largest problem but I think a big concern is chasing the numbers. I let it slightly fluctuate from week to week but keep it between the lines. If it starts creeping outside that, I adjust things. Have a single fish, shrimp and some cleanup crewmembers. I also run my blues about 12 hrs a day but the white is only 5 hrs. I don't have specific wavelength adjustments on mine. So far everything has been happy and I move placements based on flow and lighting needs.

Attachments

• 20231021_142317.jpg
    20231021_142317.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 5g, I top off the RODI daily and test everything else weekly. My tank naturally runs cold so I have to heat it to 77°. Stability is often cited as the largest problem but I think a big concern is chasing the numbers. I let it slightly fluctuate from week to week but keep it between the lines. If it starts creeping outside that, I adjust things. Have a single fish, shrimp and some cleanup crewmembers. I also run my blues about 12 hrs a day but the white is only 5 hrs. I don't have specific wavelength adjustments on mine. So far everything has been happy and I move placements based on flow and lighting needs.
Nice! I have an ATO and chiller to keep salinity and temp stable. What acros or other SPS do you have in there?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back