SPS Experts, I'd Appreciate your Feedback

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the process of converting my 5 gallon nano into an Acro dominant tank. I'm not new to the hobby but have never successfully kept Acros before but have kept other SPS which are easier. The tank used all ocean live rock, has an ATO, a chiller to keep temp stable, and a Noospsyche K7 V3 light which is more than overkill. I don't plan to add so many frags at once I'll need to dose right away. Alkalinity appears stable. I'll have only one fish and test ALK daily. These are the frags I was considering starting with. Can I have opinions on my plan and options. I posted a similar thread yesterday and apologize if it seems repetitive but I really don't want them to STN within 2 weeks. Here are the frags I had in mind. Are these good choices?
Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-10-19-575_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-11-45-322_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-11-53-617_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-13-54-518_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-22-03-53-08-573_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be nervous about a 5g acro tank as long as it’s somewhat mature. I would do a pair ocellaris, a small basslet and a 6 line wrasse. Just add the 6 line last. I had a 3g qt tank and acros were just fine. You should be fine with the correct par.

I like those frags. Keep us posted

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I'm in the process of converting my 5 gallon nano into an Acro dominant tank. I'm not new to the hobby but have never successfully kept Acros before but have kept other SPS which are easier. The tank used all ocean live rock, has an ATO, a chiller to keep temp stable, and a Noospsyche K7 V3 light which is more than overkill. I don't plan to add so many frags at once I'll need to dose right away. Alkalinity appears stable. I'll have only one fish and test ALK daily. These are the frags I was considering starting with. Can I have opinions on my plan and options. I posted a similar thread yesterday and apologize if it seems repetitive but I really don't want them to STN within 2 weeks. Here are the frags I had in mind. Are these good choices?
Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-10-19-575_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-11-45-322_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-11-53-617_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-22-02-13-54-518_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-22-03-53-08-573_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Tenuis are the most fragile, so I'd skip the last one. The first one looks like it I the typical strawberry shortcake acropora microclades, those can be more sensitive. I'd grab the smooth skin which is listed second or I'd look for a milli as I've found those pretty indestructible. Haven't ever lost a milli.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be nervous about a 5g acro tank as long as it’s somewhat mature. I would do a pair ocellaris, a small basslet and a 6 line wrasse. Just add the 6 line last. I had a 3g qt tank and acros were just fine. You should be fine with the correct par.

As far as maturity, it hasn't been set up for long but do you think the live ocean rock (literally straight from the ocean) will help out with the maturity aspect?
Also, what do you think about the strawberry shortcake? Are they more sensitive than the average acro?

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenuis are the most fragile, so I'd skip the last one. The first one looks like it I the typical strawberry shortcake acropora microclades, those can be more sensitive. I'd grab the smooth skin which is listed second or I'd look for a milli as I've found those pretty indestructible. Haven't ever lost a milli.
Ok, well I have plenty of options...I was just thinking that getting a variety of species would maximize the chances that at least a few would fare well. All are inexpensive (that doesn't mean I don't care if they die, only that I'm not making a big investment not knowing how they'll do). Plenty of absolutely beautiful millis for sale!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Stocking list seems like WAY too much for a 5 gallon IMO. I would do a pair of ocellaris maybe. . . maybe less. . . and I would not do a 6-line in a 5 gallon at all.

EDIT: Looks like tank has been up for a while and with live rock, but what if any filtration will be used?

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking list seems like WAY too much for a 5 gallon IMO. I would do a pair of ocellaris maybe. . . maybe less. . . and I would not do a 6-line in a 5 gallon at all.

Also if I am understanding correctly the OPs tank will be basically brand new.
I personally wouldn't think adding that many fish would be a good idea due to nutrient needing to be maintained at low levels. I was thinking one or two small fish.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a HOB filter and frequent water changes as in at least once a week 20-25%.
Is your only choice ordering acros online? If possible I would get the tank set up exactly as you want it and then add a single specimen from a local shop to test the waters. After a week or three I would consider ordering the acros you want.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your only choice ordering acros online? If possible I would get the tank set up exactly as you want it and then add a single specimen from a local shop to test the waters. After a week or three I would consider ordering the acros you want.
Pretty much ordering online is by far the best choice here. I can order a single frag from them and have it delivered in 30 minutes since they're just across town...the guy's pictures are truly the real pictures of each coral since I've ordered from him before and he's always willing to offer discounts to me if I buy multiple pieces, regardless of how cheap or expensive each piece may be.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty much ordering online is by far the best choice here. I can order a single frag from them and have it delivered in 30 minutes since they're just across town...the guy's pictures are truly the real pictures of each coral since I've ordered from him before and he's always willing to offer discounts to me if I buy multiple pieces, regardless of how cheap or expensive each piece may be.
As long as you aren't paying shipping then I say buy one to start and go from there. If shipping is involved then of course ordering multiples at a time starts to make more sense.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@MoshJosh if you haven't seen BKK's post before, he is as close as possible to the collectors and distribution channels for coral.

Anyways @livinlifeinBKK , if you have free reign on selection, the bali slimers are supposed to be hardy acros. I'd get that, a milli, a smooth skin like red dragon (or yellow or orange) and maybe an anacropora. All of those seem easier for a 5g acro tank.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you aren't paying shipping then I say buy one to start and go from there. If shipping is involved then of course ordering multiples at a time starts to make more sense.
I do have to pay for delivery...even though it would only cost around $12 or so from across town it does add up which is why I tend to order multiple pieces at once. I might order the corals I want since each is unique and not just fragged from a mother colony because I just had a fish die (it arrived unhealthy and I was trying to save it anyway in an isolation box but it jumped out in the night and died). Therefore, I need to get the ammonia down to 0 and test my nitrates to make sure they're not too high before adding the corals.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
@MoshJosh if you haven't seen BKK's post before, he is as close as possible to the collectors and distribution channels for coral.

Anyways @livinlifeinBKK , if you have free reign on selection, the bali slimers are supposed to be hardy acros. I'd get that, a milli, a smooth skin like red dragon (or yellow or orange) and maybe an anacropora. All of those seem easier for a 5g acro tank.
There are a ton of millis available in all colors! I thought the green one might be a slimer but regardless I thought it was a good sign that it has encrusted over the base so much. There are also speciosa for cheap and some beautiful other pieces but I was trying to go for species that would be easy to see polyp extension to Guage how happy and healthy they are.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that strawberry shortcake frags can be difficult but in you guys' experience, what seems to be the case?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm no expert on hardiness haha in my experience reports of hardiness have been hit or miss. I have killed acros that were supposed to be easy and mistreated more challenging acros that did just fine. If your parameters are on point, you like it, and you wont be breaking the bank if things go south. . . I say get it.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert on hardiness haha in my experience reports of hardiness have been hit or miss. I have killed acros that were supposed to be easy and mistreated more challenging acros that did just fine. If your parameters are on point, you like it, and you wont be breaking the bank if things go south. . . I say get it.
It's about the equivalent of $21 and with a discount for getting multiple pieces it would probably amount to less than that...I just don't want to set myself up for watching STN set in because I jumped the gun

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back