What Problems Will I Likely Face Turning My 5 Gallon Into an SPS Dominant Tank?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, do these look like good choices? @HudsonReefer2.0
Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-25-21-113_com.facebook.katana.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-25-30-524_com.facebook.katana.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-25-53-043_com.facebook.katana.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-26-59-337_com.facebook.katana.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-27-18-225_com.facebook.katana.jpg

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@HudsonReefer2.0 so which of those 5 would you choose? I've heard millis are a good choice along with a smooth skin acro like the ones they call Banana Lokanis here (they're yellow). I've been told to steer clear of tenuis and speciosa...I've heard Bonsai are also good choices.
Sry. Crazy day. I’m a big fan of smooth skin acrooora. I have a few. Mille and spathulata don’t do well in my system. Others do like those I suggested above. But definite smoothies.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HudsonReefer2.0 well, the guy sold out of half of them...didn't expect that to happen so quickly so I'll order from my other guy. He's got some beautiful coco worms for really good prices as well! What's your opinion on the strawberry shortcake again?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'd almost certainly sell me these 3 pieces for about $43 USD total. He has some other coco worms as well.
Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-58-06-864_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-56-03-754_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-26-06-55-53-384_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@HudsonReefer2.0 well, the guy sold out of half of them...didn't expect that to happen so quickly so I'll order from my other guy. He's got some beautiful coco worms for really good prices as well! What's your opinion on the strawberry shortcake again?
Touchy coral when I kept it but I had a lil chemistry hiccup that may have triggered its demise. Best bet would an aquaculture frag that’s been around. Atleast my exp.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touchy coral when I kept it but I had a lil chemistry hiccup that may have triggered its demise. Best bet would an aquaculture frag that’s been around. Atleast my exp.
There's not really any telling if it's aquacultured or not. I can ask to see how much of the base is encrusted...

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What chiller are you going to use? I just setup a 5 gallon with a sump so about 7 gallons or so total. I was looking at getting the "Chill Solutions CSXC-1". Looks perfect for small tanks!

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've always been a big fan of LPS such as Scolys but have always wanted to keep SPS as well (harder SPS such as ACROS...I have successfully kept some SPS species). I want to convert my 5 gallon nano into an SPS dominant system with some of the more sensitive species. To control nutrients I plan to only have 1 fish and of course keep everything as stable as possible. It's all live ocean rock in there and equipped with a Noospsyche K7 V3 light which is far more powerful than I need so I won't have it turned all the way up. Is there anything I'm forgetting here or any problems I'll likely encounter along the way. I'll take out the LPS and move them to my other tank because they wouldn't be able to handle the light intensity. Words of advice are appreciated.
I’d say space, but that is assuming they grow. I think if this can be successful it will be a daily grind of parameter chasing and water changes. I’m not sure if that’s really worth it. Seems like a huge challenge.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've always been a big fan of LPS such as Scolys but have always wanted to keep SPS as well (harder SPS such as ACROS...I have successfully kept some SPS species). I want to convert my 5 gallon nano into an SPS dominant system with some of the more sensitive species. To control nutrients I plan to only have 1 fish and of course keep everything as stable as possible. It's all live ocean rock in there and equipped with a Noospsyche K7 V3 light which is far more powerful than I need so I won't have it turned all the way up. Is there anything I'm forgetting here or any problems I'll likely encounter along the way. I'll take out the LPS and move them to my other tank because they wouldn't be able to handle the light intensity. Words of advice are appreciated.
Best of luck with your tank. One suggestion (don't know if its been made) - but it might be difficult to get those types of corals to grow (a number of them) in that size tank - Though there are some positives - easy to do water changes, etc - you may need to do a significant amount of pruning. Those corals get quite large. But anything is possible - and I hope you have good luck (I might think about getting a 20 gallon) - but thats just me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've bought from this guy plenty of times before and always received good stuff...I'm in Bangkok so nobody nearby on here. The good thing is that you actually receive the coral I'm the picture and it isn't photoshopped anywhere close to how they do it in America. Which one would you suggest I go for?
Which ever is your preference. I'm not sure there is a huge difference in hardiness - perhaps the montipora somewhat easier.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back