What s the Most Unique and hardest fish you’ve kept?

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thinking of getting another reef tank and that got me thinking About What fish should i put and how big Of a tank i should get. Then I started thinking of keeping more unique fish instead of the more basic clowns and damsels (not saying they arent unique, there are plenty of them with cool patterns) and i thought of starting this thread. So let me know what is the most unique fish you have ever kept and what is the hardest to keep fish that had a lot of requirements that you have kept. The most unique I’ve ever kept was just a Black icecap clown. Wish I still had him so i could put pictures :(. for some reason doesn’t even show up when you type the name into google. anyways leave you comment down below :)
My most unique was a leopard grouper, he was difficult because I had to set up another tank to keep his food in. I was feeding him the orange cichlids, he was super cool!

Jamborick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flying gurnard about a dozen years ago. Definitely unique, it creeped the hell out of my wife.

8586F576-51AB-4D4F-A531-64DDCF6196E7.jpeg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they peaceful? Can you put them with fairy wrasses?

Mine was very peaceful. It didn't bother anyone in the tank but an occasional pod or small snail. It didn't even fight with my flame hawkfish, though my tank is a 180 gal so they didn't need to interact much. The PHF liked to swim all over - all day - and the flame has his favorite rock ledges and sticks to them 80% of the time.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally in my own tanks, probably princess anthias

I forgot about the Princess Anthias! I agree. I've tried twice with this species in different tank environments and both times the fish just hid a lot and stopped eating and died.
except that one guy who spends all his money on fish and barely has enough for food lol

Hey... Stop talking about me! LOL
My Regal and Copeprband which I have had for a couple of years now. Not unique, but difficult to keep.

I have never owned a Regal. I've heard they are shy and should not be mixed with any semi-aggressive fish. I do have a few "sensitive" fish in my semi-agessive tank but they were added early and had already established their domains. I'd be afraid to add one now... but I wish I could!
One morning I found him in one of the bedrooms. At least a 25 foot walk from the aquarium. He was dry and covered in carpet fibers.

That's crazy! I had a zebra eel who went rug surfing, but he did not recover.
Its a velvet damsel... normally i hate damsels.. but this one is really chill..

I love the way they glow under the lights! I've never owned one because I've heard they are some of the most aggressive damsels. I think you lucked out with his/her personality of "chill." :)
The question we really want answered is how long does it take for detritus to become essentially inert. I would bet it is pretty quick

That is a good question! Anyone know?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back