Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Red Sea Standard salt, but used the Coral Pro for the first 12 months of my tanks life

Tank picture as requested
3312243031786563482_IMG_3664.jpg

996737201842005552_IMG_4239.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Fritz RPM in my 125 cause I get it for $40 a box at the LFS. Seems to do good, but I also dose 2 part and Red Sea trace with a bi-weekly water change schedule. When/if I ever implement a AWC system, I plan to switch to Tropic Marin Pro.

thumbnail_20190526_130530.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Fritz RPM in my 125 cause I get it for $40 a box at the LFS. Seems to do good, but I also dose 2 part and Red Sea trace with a bi-weekly water change schedule. When/if I ever implement a AWC system, I plan to switch to Tropic Marin Pro.

Can i ask why the lights are different on the ends? What brand of BB are those as well? Nice tank though!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i ask why the lights are different on the ends? What brand of BB are those as well? Nice tank though!

I have my powerheads/wavemakers set up for lower flow towards the ends of the tank. I keep the lower light/lower flow corals at the ends, so I have the lights turned down at the ends. Seems to be working. They are just old plain Jane BB's that I got second hand for a steal at the LFS. No manufacturers label. They just say "made in china". I've been running them for over a year and the corals seem to like it. Even the acros are growing and coloring up well.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CCB41258-D363-4831-AFCE-11D08C9061DF.jpeg

Pic is 3 days after a 17 1/2 hour power outage.. but tropic marin pro, amazing stuff. I ask anyone to try it, then make the conscious decision to switch back to IO or whatever they are using, you wouldn’t do it. Once you mix your first batch I promise you will never switch away from it. Indescribable how far superior it is relative to other salts.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CCB41258-D363-4831-AFCE-11D08C9061DF.jpeg

Pic is 3 days after a 17 1/2 hour power outage.. but tropic marin pro, amazing stuff. I ask anyone to try it, then make the conscious decision to switch back to IO or whatever they are using, you wouldn’t do it. Once you mix your first batch I promise you will never switch away from it. Indescribable how far superior it is relative to other salts.

Have you use fritz before? I felt the same way when switching from IO to fritz.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use IO, but i add a bag of reef crystals and a bag of the regular IO and mix them so it's not quite so elevated. someone posted a list of all the public aquariums and stores and reef expert types that uses IO and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I want when I do water changes is ocean water. If I could, I'd collect my own, but living in the shadow of NYC, who knows what's in the water. They are no longer running honey barges, but the water still isn't the best. Anyway, the closest box salt I've found is IO...to the best of my knowledge, the number one salt. Otherwise, I'm a doser and maintain alk and calc with daily automatic dosing.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started for years TM pro reef. Went to IO for a few years. Just started back to TM pro. I agree IO is a great salt. Personal preference going back. The TM mixes clear and seems to make the water in the DT clearer.

This is just this month, still redoing entire tank and partially thru transition to TM

799D1BFE-6CD3-4564-A9BA-97208470DE0F.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note.

The IO comes in boxed that I threw away. The TM comes in useful buckets I keep. When you count the buckets at 100$ each sitting in the garage, it kinda hits you. I spent 1k in salt this year? IO box is out of sight, out of mind.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morton Regular Salt
Seriously though I buy whatever is cheapest I can find which usually means IO. But I also have a batch of liveaquaria salt I got for cheap.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note.

The IO comes in boxed that I threw away. The TM comes in useful buckets I keep. When you count the buckets at 100$ each sitting in the garage, it kinda hits you. I spent 1k in salt this year? IO box is out of sight, out of mind.

Lol. The fritz i buys comes in a 200 gal box. I empty the bags into an old IO bucket. I was thinking just the other day about the exact thing you mention.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, but am planning a change to either AquaForest or Tropic Marine Pro. Mostly because I run a AWC station and recently discovered some precip when my pump got jammed up. Still deciding if i'm going to buffer the Alk or not since I do like to run mine higher. I just posted some updated pics on my build thread if you're interested.

kjmsmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Aquavitro Salinity since I started my tank 8 years ago and loved it. Last year my supplier stopped getting it in so reluctantly I tried a pail of H2Ocean for 4 months or so and my corals didn’t look as good so I tried a box of Blue Treasure and my tank really started going downhill with parameters out of whack so I sourced a new supplier for the Salinity and switched back last month and am still trying to stabilize my tank. I’m not certain the change in salt was the cause but I didn't change anything else. The AV is also bang on when mixing ie 2 cups gives me 5g @1.025 and the Blue Treasure took about 3 cups +/- for the same mix and seemed inconsistent.
Just my experience....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back