What salt do you use?

What salt do you use?

• Total voters

RM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using RC for a long time but I just changed over to TM because it is much closer to the alkalinity I'm at. I also noticed that RC was slightly lower in potassium.

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used instant ocean since I started reefing in 2005. I tried Kent marine at one point because it was on close out. Didn’t notice a difference. I like it because of the price and have never had an issue with parameters.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin. Highest quality pharmaceutical grade ingredients. You might want to modify your pole to say "all types" as there are 3 formulas: classic, pro and bio-activf. All are top grade.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (RC). I've used it forever mainly due to the price here at the LFS stores. Also I try and maintain ALk at 8.x so it seems to work.

Having said that and nothing but good success with IO RC I am switching to Tropic Marin Bio Actif. I am dosing TM AFR so figured might as well try their salt and see what shakes out.

Personally speaking I don't think salt matters other than how the hobbyist makes and stores it. BRS did do a great job of testing salt mix and its parameters based on storage duration. Well worth the watch and about the only other reason why I'd consider changing.
I am considering after I go through my bucket of Red Sea going with tropic marine so let me know.

I heard the EVS stuff mixes the best due to the four part system. That though seems like a lot of work

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin. Highest quality pharmaceutical grade ingredients. You might want to modify your pole to say "all types" as there are 3 formulas: classic, pro and bio-activf. All are top grade.
Sadly I can’t but thanks for the info

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morton’s iodized.
0F75349B-52CA-468F-B9C5-D629CA39D3CE.jpeg

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used Tropic Pro unless unavailable, seems to be out of stock a lot since covid. Sometimes use all Reef Crystals and as of late seems to be more often than not. I do 40g changes twice a month but run a higher ALK tank. so I mix a 6:2 ratio of TMP and RC and get closer to my target ALK.

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to use this because of its good price, and reviews. But no one in my area stocks it, so I didn't want to be stuck relying on online orders unfortunately.
But from what I found online, it mixed similarly and had similar params as the Aquaforest. Just that the aquaforest is stocked by a couple LFS's in my area.

I'm currently using RPM blue box as well and so far it seems fine BUT it takes me about 8 cups to make 15 gallons @ 35ppm. When I used Vibrant Sea I did the same amount in 6 cups. I'll see when the box of RPM is done if the savings was worth it

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Never used anything other than that, so can't really compare it to others.

I know people complain about the buildup, but I figure that's in the bottom of the mixing can, not in the water I'm putting into the tank. Just wash it out every now and then. I've never seen any sign of it in my tank.

It works fine and it's cheap.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using IO -RC for quite a while.
but for the news tanks I am switching to reg, IO if it 's good engough for the local reef chemist its good enough for me. lots of amazing tanks use it. I dont think its a make it or break it topic.

do it like TMP sure but FOR ME the cost is to much to justify, now if we could get it at the smae price as it is in euro about the same or close to IO salt i would totally use it.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a long time user of IO but my last two buckets were mixing at 500 Ca and 1650 Mg. I've had one other bucket have high Mg about 2 years ago but those were the only oddballs in many years. Batch #s are 20156 and 20164. Just to be sure I wasn't getting wonk results from my test kits, I submitted an ICP to confirm.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back