What salt do you use?

• Total voters

Character85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just purchased a bucket of Red Sea reef pro coral. But now I’m wondering is that the best? (Of course afterwards) I saw a video about salt on BRS and they gave two other recommendations for e.v.s and tropic marine. From what I can see they are all around the same price. So which one?

Answer the poll and tell me why you like what you use

I love RedSea Coral Pro. I find the slightly boosted trace elements to be right on the money for my softies. I started with Instant Ocean and found i had to supplement more Iodine, calcium, and mg frequently supplementing sometimes every few days with 15% weekly water changes. When I switched to Redsea Coral Pro, so long as I maintained the weekly waterchanges I rarely need supplements other than calcium. I think in the last 4 months trace elements have been on the money. I think I had to drop 1 ml of MG once but much easier for me.

GooseCommander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO for about a year with a giant spread of inconsistencies. Switched to Fritz blue box and numbers are more consistent now. As BRS keeps trying to tell me, stability is key.

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why this topic came up (again). BRS did enough testing for even the most picky of reefers. It’s pretty simple, pick a salt that works with what you want in parameters. I dose, so tropic marine pro was the logical choice for me. I don’t know how many times it’s been said in almost any topic regarding chemistry (water quality) stability/consistency is your friend.

Gusto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with reef crystals, then Red Sea blue bucket.. but about 6 months ago decided to try hw marinemix and couldn't be happier!! Tank is really thriving now.. Mixes clean and numbers are always spot on..

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean. I have RS blue bucket in case I need to do a large water change in an emergency to not mess up my alk, but routine water change always has been IO.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but what salt is best?

Siri, set a reminder to check salt thread in 3 days

tenor.gif

dbdisok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just purchased a bucket of Red Sea reef pro coral. But now I’m wondering is that the best? (Of course afterwards) I saw a video about salt on BRS and they gave two other recommendations for e.v.s and tropic marine. From what I can see they are all around the same price. So which one?

Answer the poll and tell me why you like what you use

D9BCA737-638B-4D4C-A0EB-EEDFFF9A4542.jpeg

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest reef salt and NSW when I have time and patience to collect.

lester lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no brand loyalty I originally started with reef crystals I’ve learned other salts mixes easier like Red Sea and fritz but omega one has the less expensive and I have been using it in my frag tanks with no problems for about a year check it out

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSW when I have time and patience to collect.

How does that work? I live only about 5 minutes from the ocean/beach. I had considered it, but I thought maybe where I live it might be more polluted near the shore. Do you go out in the ocean to deeper waters and collect there?

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that work? I live only about 5 minutes from the ocean/beach. I had considered it, but I thought maybe where I live it might be more polluted near the shore. Do you go out in the ocean to deeper waters and collect there?

I collect from a jetty just before high tide, last collection was may last year, unfortunately my sump cracked at that time, so I used up all 500 litres then, rainy season now so can't collect and the jetty's closed due to the pandemic as the governor's house is close by..

RoyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauna Marin Professional. Mixes up to the parameters I use, and mixes very quick and can be used after 5 mins.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back