What salt is everyone using and why

I personally use Red Sea Coral Pro for my coral tanks, and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for FOWLR systems. I prefer IO Reef Crystals over IO Sea Salt due to the higher Alk, same with the RS Coral Pro vs the RS Sea Salt. Coral pro also has more ideal levels of calcium and magnesium
 
I use natural sea water because I can get it from a hose at Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla.

I have to adjust dKH and magnesium to match my reef.

I think most salt mix users pick salt that is available to them and the one mix that closely matches the parameters that they want in their water.
 
I use natural sea water because I can get it from a hose at Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla.

I have to adjust dKH and magnesium to match my reef.

I think most salt mix users pick salt that is available to them and the one mix that closely matches the parameters that they want in their water.
The part where I'm confused most is. I don't even know what range to target. My tank is still very brand new. I was using Redsea coral pro but recently decided to go with Redsea sea salt. Because I heard keeping the alk in the range of 8-9. Also stores better then the pro version. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
IO reef crystals. I can easily afford it
 
Reef crystals. I haven’t had any issues with it. Corals grow and it’s readily available in most places including Amazon.
 
redsea. needed to lower my alk. but its more expensive and i cant get it locally :disappointed-face:
 
I'll be using NYOS. The numbers are more congruent to what I want (at least as a starting point) and I hear it goes into solution VERY nicely.
 
I started with Red Sea Coral Pro and recently switch to Red Sea Blue bucket… matches closer to my ideal alkalinity so water changes don’t cause a spike in alk.
 
Im using Aquaforest Reef currently because I’m trying to keep alk in that range and BRS has had it on sale a few times recently. Otherwise would use Reef Crystals.
 
Just regular IO for me …. for decades. Never had issues growing corals of all kinds. Any deficiencies can be offset by other means. Maybe not as cost effective as it used to be, but nothing is.
 
IO Reef Crystals... because its the cheapest, and its what ive been using.
 
reef crystals for many years. Just because it’s easy to get and not the most expensive I’ve seen.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new