What saltwater fish for 20 long?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 20g long that's in my workshop going for a couple of years now. I have 2 Storm Clowns and a Rainford Goby for the CUC I have some Peppermint shrimp, Emerald crab, Conch, Nassarius and Trochus snails. I've found that if I go over 3 fish in this tank the one I add doesn't last too long. I've lost a Royal Gramma and 2 Firefish in the time this tank has been running. When I lost the last Firefish I added to this tank I realized that this tank does well with just the 3 fish and adding another disrupts the balance so I won't add anymore.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt realize he was adding more rock, that could increase the time to add fish as well. I suggest getting the rock asap. I would either get dry rock and more bacterial additive asap and wait a 3-4 weeks from adding til you add another fish. Or get live rock from a trusted reefer on the forum, this will help establish a more reliable bacterial population and then probably 2 weeks from adding about 10-15 pounds of live rock. Unless your LFS has an impeccable record for quarantine procedure i would not go with live rock from stores.
I believe he has about 10 pounds on order I’m not sure if he’s gotten it yet. You don’t wanna add any fish especially gobies without having all of your rock you don’t wanna stress any fish out.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am she not a he.
Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
How many fish do you think I should end up getting for this tank? I am still deciding.
I have a 13.5 with 4 fish and people would prob call me crazy. All depends what kind of fish and how big they get. With a tank this size I wouldn’t go above 4-5 max. But then again people will prob call me crazy for suggesting that . Like I said more fish= more food =more waste= high ammonia and nitrite levels. Not impossible but you have to be on top of water changes and watch your levels closely.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 if you decide a big fish like the dwarf angel, 5 if going with chromis, gobies, damsels or firefish. This includes your 2 existing clowns

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a great little community you have. As long as ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates in check I see no problems

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a great little community you have. As long as ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates in check I see no problems
Thanks. I do 1 gallon weekly water changes and have a “beefy” flirtation setup. I also test my water weekly. I also don’t plan on adding anything else but more zoas and mushrooms.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both intank filter baskets with chamber one having filter floss activated carbon and bio balls. In chamber two I use chemipure blue and a second filter floss. I know the carbon and chemipure blue are a bit redundant but seems to work nice for me.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change out the plastic bio balls slowly with a high cap media like marinepure and maybe increase to 1.5-2 gallons a week if you see nitrates increasing. I dont see you you cant even add an easy chalice, acan or even hammer in time if your flow and light support it

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change out the plastic bio balls slowly with a high cap media like marinepure and maybe increase to 1.5-2 gallons a week if you see nitrates increasing. I dont see you you cant even add an easy chalice, acan or even hammer in time if your flow and light support it
Thanks! I have been using bio balls for years and find them efficient but do see the goods and bads. I read too much lol. I think I could pull that off with my AI prime!

Check it out!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice you could even support acropora with that light if you ever take the plunge into sps.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice you could even support acropora with that light if you ever take the plunge into sps.
Thanks! I have no friends who have fish so it’s just you and my wife to show. Lol. I am always tempted at the fish store to get acropora they are so good looking. I’m obsessed with ricordeas and Yuma’s and rhodactis shrooms.

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say the difference between keeping 3 and 5 fish is twice as many water changes in a twenty gallon. I would def not recommend dwarf angels as that setup is too small for them and they will be glass surfing (anxiety) constantly and stressing out the other fish. If you have two clowns I’d stick with a shrimp/goby pair and call it a day. Your nitrates are going to spike after a couple months unless you’re going bare bottom

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back