What sand do you prefer??

tonydig11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new build and need to choose some sand. My last build was my 1st reef and went with Caribsea Live sand in Figi Pink. I found this sand very fine and my pistol shrimp would make a cloud storms with it. Once it was settled in after a few months the cloud storms reduced but I can still tell when he is digging. The Pistol will be going in the new build.What do you guys/gals prefer??

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre rinse your new sand in tap for an hour before use, then ro water before setup. Any sand but oolite sand works fine when pre rinsed. No it doesn't harm bacteria, they're stuck to sand grains until burned, frozen, dried or medicated. The sand rinse thread opens by tracking ten tanks who didn't rinse and then 23 pages of those who do pre rinse or clean occasionally by rinsing. Wrasses can dive in, no cloud etc

It's handy to be able to track lifespan and enjoyment of systems in rinsed vs unrinsed setups all in one thread, before we experiment on our own $

The only form of sand we don't pre rinse in tap to total clarity is real live sand from TBS, with actual wiggling animals in it. Zero bagged sands are that way, so we rinse.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that's what I use. Good mixed grain sizes

Shaummy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I rebooted my tank a few years ago...I went with Tropic Eden Reefflakes and have been really happy with it. I did rinse the sand lightly before adding it to the tank, but I think I could have gotten away with not rinsing since it was really clean.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Special Grade all the way! Looks great, and doesn't blow around when you have flow in the tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of love for special grade!
I am not 100% sold on BB tanks if your going full SPS then sure give it a try.
for me the sand does add a relaxing effect, now if it"S not taken care if yeah it can be a PITA

mikedb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted bright white, fine grained sand and decided to order small bags of a few to see how they looked in person and relative to each other.

Left to right:
  • Tropic Eden Miniflakes
  • Tropic Eden Reefflakes
  • CaribSea Fiji Pink

0F3FD0F7-6636-40A2-8129-6E226709B251.jpeg

As I wanted a bright white sand, the CaribSea was out- as you can see it is quite a bit darker than the Tropic Eden products. I ended up using 50-50 reef flakes and minifkakes and am very happy.

Unfortunately, Premium Aquatics seems to be the sole US distributor, and has difficulty keeping the product in stock. Tropic Eden Mesoflakes are a nice compromise in size between the reef flakes and mini flakes, but seem to be perennially on backorder.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed Hawaiian black with fiji pink and looks great. Have a good mix of both andwouldnt go back

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted bright white, fine grained sand and decided to order small bags of a few to see how they looked in person and relative to each other.

Left to right:
  • Tropic Eden Miniflakes
  • Tropic Eden Reefflakes
  • CaribSea Fiji Pink

0F3FD0F7-6636-40A2-8129-6E226709B251.jpeg

As I wanted a bright white sand, the CaribSea was out- as you can see it is quite a bit darker than the Tropic Eden products. I ended up using 50-50 reef flakes and minifkakes and am very happy.

Unfortunately, Premium Aquatics seems to be the sole US distributor, and has difficulty keeping the product in stock. Tropic Eden Mesoflakes are a nice compromise in size between the reef flakes and mini flakes, but seem to be perennially on backorder.
I think sand tends to look tan like that when wet and not underwater. Has a much different appearance when under water and lights on. Definitely more white

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Caribsea special grade sand.

I have used tropic Eden reefflakes.

They are pretty similar.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Special Grade all the way! Looks great, and doesn't blow around when you have flow in the tank.

Exactly! And its a good 'compromise' sand should one wish to keep sand sleeping wrasses as I do.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried Tropic Eden Live Tonga Pink (0.8mm) in an LPS/Softie setup? I was thinking of going with that for my new 36x24x22 with 1x MP40 (so far).

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural beach sand all the way! I'm on my 3rd batch after 8 years of reefing. But its illegal to collect in many places

Shnolby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is a little old, but what're some opinions about mixing sugar sized and special grade sand? I'm setting up my first saltwater tank in a 150 gallon with 2" of sand and plenty of flow. If I layer sugar sized sand on the bottom and special grade on top, will wrasses and gobies mix it up and create sandstorms? Trying to avoid dust which may upset any potential corals.

I'm open to the idea of just special grade if that would be best

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back