What should I add?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking maybe get 1 more wrasse but was only a maybe but more and more thinking definately get one lol ^_^
Did want to add a foxface 1 week ago but lfs only had one and it was tiny like 1.5 inches so didnt get .
I know wrasses are most common species of fish from what I've read and sure not all got the same front end but alot of the wrasses I see in lfs for out tanks got very similar markings .
I'm liking the look 9f this adorned wrasse and timors wrasse but also just seen a nice red lined wrasse that looks sweet as .

The adorned wrasse reminds me of the 6 kine wrasse just different colours

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-191345_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-191345_Google.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20211029-191358_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-191358_Google.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20211029-191416_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-191416_Google.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20211029-191630_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-191630_Chrome.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 19

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking maybe get 1 more wrasse but was only a maybe but more and more thinking definately get one lol ^_^
Did want to add a foxface 1 week ago but lfs only had one and it was tiny like 1.5 inches so didnt get .
I know wrasses are most common species of fish from what I've read and sure not all got the same front end but alot of the wrasses I see in lfs for out tanks got very similar markings .
I'm liking the look 9f this adorned wrasse and timors wrasse but also just seen a nice red lined wrasse that looks sweet as .

The adorned wrasse reminds me of the 6 kine wrasse just different colours
I have 7 wrasse, my favourite of the fairy wrasses are my two male Lubbock’s - I prefer the Indonesian variant over my Cebu variant.
I would keep looking for wrasses - Don’t just limit yourself to Halichoeres! There’s an entire world of beauties and although they’re common in LFS’s, they still pack a punch with colour and personality! I will never have a tank without Atleast 2 wrasse.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 wrasse, my favourite of the fairy wrasses are my two male Lubbock’s - I prefer the Indonesian variant over my Cebu variant.
I would keep looking for wrasses - Don’t just limit yourself to Halichoeres! There’s an entire world of beauties and although they’re common in LFS’s, they still pack a punch with colour and personality! I will never have a tank without Atleast 2 wrasse.
Yeah will keep open mind if end up deciding to get another as my first rule getting a fish is can it work for me ( except 2 clownfish ,4 year old daughter wanted ) followed closely by how it looks as dont want a brilliant worker but to be plain as day unless already got lots vibrant coloured fishes already then may just get one .
My plan was to get 10 small- medium sized fish in my 80 gallon and I'm upto 9 now and plan is get a 1 spot foxface as final fish then if get a certain pest which current fish won't eat or cant keep in check then add one with intention that will give back to lfs or another fishkeeper unless parameters keep in check as I know some have 15- 20 plus fish in a 80 gallon but we shall see but love wrasses and so far only blue streaked and silver belly ^_^
Sometimes wish didnt get cleaner wrasse as just harraseses my copperband alot the time lol

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Halichoeres timorensis, very similar to the adorned (I think the Adorned wrasses get sold as pudding wife wrasses here). Here’s a photo of the Timor wrasse against the Pudding wife wrasse.
Timor wrasse (note it’s more dotted compared to the Pudding wide wrasse’s patterning)
47219257-3402-4A35-86F6-1E0D0DB61D5D.jpeg

Pudding wife wrasse (These are more common and tend to come in much smaller than most of the Timor’s that will come in)
587A95CF-5B31-4A1C-AC3C-115E8FCC9F52.jpeg

I would be careful though, if the scientific name is on the tag then read it since the name pudding wife wrasse can be given to the species Halichoeres radiatus where as the adorned wrasse is Halichoeres cosmetus.
Yeah will keep open mind if end up deciding to get another as my first rule getting a fish is can it work for me ( except 2 clownfish ,4 year old daughter wanted ) followed closely by how it looks as dont want a brilliant worker but to be plain as day unless already got lots vibrant coloured fishes already then may just get one .
My plan was to get 10 small- medium sized fish in my 80 gallon and I'm upto 9 now and plan is get a 1 spot foxface as final fish then if get a certain pest which current fish won't eat or cant keep in check then add one with intention that will give back to lfs or another fishkeeper unless parameters keep in check as I know some have 15- 20 plus fish in a 80 gallon but we shall see but love wrasses and so far only blue streaked and silver belly ^_^
Sometimes wish didnt get cleaner wrasse as just harraseses my copperband alot the time lol
Interesting trip. And ultimately expensive.
The guy at SW Marines very politely explained why he wouldn't sell any fish to me while the dottyback is in the tank. So between him and you guys you have persuaded me to change direction. Which involves getting the dottyback out of the tank (SW Marines lent me a fish trap). So I bought a 10 gallon tank, filter, and heater for the dottyback when the time is right and he can live in glorious solitude while I can safely add a Wrasse or two (maybe 3).
I did purchase some lovely corals and some more snails though.
Gonna pick up some live rock tomorrow from a local guy selling some. If I then add some freshly mixed RO water, how long will it take to cycle or should I get bacteria to speed it up?
And finally, for now, are inverts safe if they go in with the dottyback? If so, what type?
Sorry for taking up most of your day!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting trip. And ultimately expensive.
The guy at SW Marines very politely explained why he wouldn't sell any fish to me while the dottyback is in the tank. So between him and you guys you have persuaded me to change direction. Which involves getting the dottyback out of the tank (SW Marines lent me a fish trap). So I bought a 10 gallon tank, filter, and heater for the dottyback when the time is right and he can live in glorious solitude while I can safely add a Wrasse or two (maybe 3).
I did purchase some lovely corals and some more snails though.
Gonna pick up some live rock tomorrow from a local guy selling some. If I then add some freshly mixed RO water, how long will it take to cycle or should I get bacteria to speed it up?
And finally, for now, are inverts safe if they go in with the dottyback? If so, what type?
Sorry for taking up most of your day!
So, to quickly cycle my tank I used either Fritz Turbo Start or Fritz Colony, and put the fish in as soon as it had cleared up.
I then just made sure the tank wouldn’t have a spike by testing it every day for about two weeks.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to quickly cycle my tank I used either Fritz Turbo Start or Fritz Colony, and put the fish in as soon as it had cleared up.
I then just made sure the tank wouldn’t have a spike by testing it every day for about two weeks.
Thanks again. I have plenty of test kits. Just relying on the local live rock vendor getting back to me. BTW the LFS had a few beautiful Wrasse. I couldn't have lived with myself if I had got one to see it murdered. I honestly think I have been educated over the last couple of days so thanks to everyone!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. I have plenty of test kits. Just relying on the local live rock vendor getting back to me. BTW the LFS had a few beautiful Wrasse. I couldn't have lived with myself if I had got one to see it murdered. I honestly think I have been educated over the last couple of days so thanks to everyone!!
Honestly in that size tank you could fit 2 or 3 wrasse (Maybe not all the same species! A nice variety would be great).
Some of my personal favourites include:
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki,
- Halichoeres iridis,
- Halichoeres cosmetus,
- Cirrhilabrus isosceles,
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia,
- Macropharyngodon nigrosensis.
Those are just a few of my MANY favourites, you’ll see I prefer more of the smaller species over the large 12” ones you find in the wild (I’m looking at you Halichoeres hortulanus).
Do you know what some of the ones you saw were? I’d love to know for ideas of what wrasse I would love to have in a future 5-6’ wrasse only tank.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly in that size tank you could fit 2 or 3 wrasse (Maybe not all the same species! A nice variety would be great).
Some of my personal favourites include:
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki,
- Halichoeres iridis,
- Halichoeres cosmetus,
- Cirrhilabrus isosceles,
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia,
- Macropharyngodon nigrosensis.
Those are just a few of my MANY favourites, you’ll see I prefer more of the smaller species over the large 12” ones you find in the wild (I’m looking at you Halichoeres hortulanus).
Do you know what some of the ones you saw were? I’d love to know for ideas of what wrasse I would love to have in a future 5-6’ wrasse only tank.
TBH I wasn't really concentrating after my conversation with the owner but I did see a Radiant (lovely but too similar in colour and shape to the dottyback), a green Wrasse (didn't look very green) and a six line (apparently he won't take any s**t from anyone so a battle to the death might happen [my words, not the guy in the shop])
Anyway, I got the new tank, really want a Wrasse or two and nobody's going to die.
There were other Wrasse in the shop but not a massive selection and I'll be interested to see what you find in that size range.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I wasn't really concentrating after my conversation with the owner but I did see a Radiant (lovely but too similar in colour and shape to the dottyback), a green Wrasse (didn't look very green) and a six line (apparently he won't take any s**t from anyone so a battle to the death might happen [my words, not the guy in the shop])
Anyway, I got the new tank, really want a Wrasse or two and nobody's going to die.
There were other Wrasse in the shop but not a massive selection and I'll be interested to see what you find in that size range.
Yeah green wrasse aren’t actually green as they get older, they go from jade green to more of an olive green or brown as they age. They also tend to get a black splotch on their side. Often the juvenile stage is why they get the name “Jade” or “Green” wrasse. Another wrasse like this is the not so reef safe bird wrasse - Males are a nice blueish green and females are the same body shape but more like the jade wrasse adults in colour.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back