What Should I do?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I am getting some bounce mushrooms and chalice's and torches and frogspawns tomorrow. I have a 5 gallon (Fluval Spec V) nano/pico tank that I want to put them, to really make them "pop". I have some general questions:
Will the 80 GPH return be enough flow?
Will a 2-bulb T5 fixture be enough for the light?
Can I keep a small firefish goby (or two) in the tank without having to worry too much about ammonia?
I will be using cycled media, rock, and water, from my display.
Thanks!
-MSB

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on wait a minute.................... TOMORROW??
And you haven't set up the tank yet?
I thought you ask first questions before you jump in with a few hundred of $$$$ of corals.
But maybe I'm old fashion here.

As far as your questions and I never had a 5 gallon tank but 80 is kind of overkill as that is 18x the turn over.
Not sure how many watt these 2 T5's are but it might work, just watch out or over heating the water.
Using cycled media rock/sand will be your best friend.
But IMO let the tank at least run for a week on it's own and test a few times.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, sorry- I forgot a few things- I have a 180 display, a 240 frag, and an 80 frag. I have been doing this for a long time and I have taken care of many tanks and types of corals. I want them in the 5g because I really like the way they will look in there- I am going to constantly cycle (pulling water out and putting water from my DT in) so I am not going to worry about levels. Sorry about that! :)

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have triggers in my DT and my frag tanks are completely full- I have another 80 on backorder.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling water from your display won’t cycle a tank using the bio media from your established tank will. I would put the frags in on if your other tanks on a frag rack while your five gallon cycles for at least a week or two even tho it would be a instant cycle by using the media.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling water from your display won’t cycle a tank using the bio media from your established tank will. I would put the frags in on if your other tanks on a frag rack while your five gallon cycles for at least a week or two even tho it would be a instant cycle by using the media.
Sorry, I misused the word "cycle" What I mean to say is that I will pull water from my DT and remove water form the 5g- its the same as hooking it up to my main system, but without tubes going in and out :)

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throwing in my two cents here but what you're describing doesn't sound very consistent and the corals you're talking about putting in there probably need a little consistency. I know your motto says go big or go home, but it just seems reckless to me with that many valuable corals. I would do it the tried and true way and cycle the aquarium slowly, learn the ins and outs of it, take your time before adding corals and such. You can add water and media from an established system to help the cycle along, but it's still going to be a couple of months before it would be absolutely stable and established enough for corals in my experience.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably just hook it up to my sump- as I said earlier, i have no room for these

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back