What Size LifeReef Skimmer should I Order?

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after many hours of research, and input from many of you, I have decided to purchase a LifeReef skimmer for my 380 gallon reef tank. My tank will have a heavy bio load with lots of large fish and eventually some corals. After speaking with Jeff the owner for an hour or so, he said I could go with the 48 inch tall unit but said the 60 inch might work as well but might be too much for my set up.

For those who have larger tanks or have an opinion, should I run the 48 inch or the 60? I figure I would get an opinion from those who run them on their tanks.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The taller the skimmer, the more head you need on the pump and you don't really get much additional water throughput. I am not convinced a taller narrow skimmer is that much better than a shorter version of the same diameter. I would go with the 48" and you can purchase an extension in the future if you want taller. I will say I think two smaller skimmers like a 2x36" would perform better as you get more total flow through the skimmers although the cost maybe prohibitive

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back