What Size LifeReef Skimmer should I Order?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gundy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gundy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Messages
323
Reaction score
384
Location
Utah
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after many hours of research, and input from many of you, I have decided to purchase a LifeReef skimmer for my 380 gallon reef tank. My tank will have a heavy bio load with lots of large fish and eventually some corals. After speaking with Jeff the owner for an hour or so, he said I could go with the 48 inch tall unit but said the 60 inch might work as well but might be too much for my set up.

For those who have larger tanks or have an opinion, should I run the 48 inch or the 60? I figure I would get an opinion from those who run them on their tanks.
 
The taller the skimmer, the more head you need on the pump and you don't really get much additional water throughput. I am not convinced a taller narrow skimmer is that much better than a shorter version of the same diameter. I would go with the 48" and you can purchase an extension in the future if you want taller. I will say I think two smaller skimmers like a 2x36" would perform better as you get more total flow through the skimmers although the cost maybe prohibitive
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new