What size of UV filter for non-RODI water?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an RODI unit, there is no excuse not to. There is no earthly thread pitch/count that you cant convert to/from. Yes you can hook them up to a garden hose with an adapter for that thread pitch/count, yes you can hook them up to a faucet, yes you can hard plumb them. Hell, I even have a contingency plan to filter collected rain water through my RO unit if SHTF...

UV does not remove any other contaminants from water such as heavy metals, salts, chlorine or man-made substances like petroleum products or pharmaceuticals.

The way the RODI process works requires pressure and time, just like reef keeping, if you cant handle either (or both) there are plenty of other hobbies that cost a lot less for the same punishment.
I agree now.

Can I use gallons of bottled water from grocery stores? And does it matter if the water is distilled or not?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use gallons of bottled water from grocery stores? And does it matter if the water is distilled or not?

Absolutely. In my nano reef days that’s exactly what I would do, go to the local grocer and get gallon bottles of distilled. Not sure if it’s different where you are but here you have two options:

“Spring water” which is just tap water. If you read the label it’ll say “bottled from a municipal source” meaning tap water

OR

Distilled. Which given the small increase in cost is a much better value as it won’t contain nearly the same impurities that bottled tap water does.

However, please remember even distillation does not guarantee pure 0 TDS water.

Given your locale, I might suggest (once you have your “sea legs” under you so to speak) that you head over the hills and pull some water from the source around Santa Cruz every once and a while.

Biodiversity is key to fighting off many of the plague’s that suck time, resources and fun from the hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back