What size of UV filter for non-RODI water?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size of UV filter would be appropriate for a 10-gallon FOWLR tank that uses ordinary tap water? Non-RODI water usually creates algae and I want to know how big of a UV filter will eliminate the algae.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size of UV filter would be appropriate for a 10-gallon FOWLR tank that uses ordinary tap water? Non-RODI water usually creates algae and I want to know how big of a UV filter will eliminate the algae.
I wouldn't use ordinary tap water unless it's a freshwater tank... Algae is pretty much par for the course in any thriving reef tank, and you're more likely to have other issues if you don't use RODI for mixing.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use ordinary tap water unless it's a freshwater tank... Algae is pretty much par for the course in any thriving reef tank, and you're more likely to have other issues if you don't use RODI for mixing.
Do you know where I can get an inexpensive RODI that I can connect/disconnect to a garden hose? I have a 20-gallon Brute mixing bin where I prepare the saltwater and it is next to a garden hose.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where I can get an inexpensive RODI that I can connect/disconnect to a garden hose? I have a 20-gallon Brute mixing bin where I prepare the saltwater and it is next to a garden hose.
You can buy some relatively inexpensive ones you can hook up to your sink, etc.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to this: ?

And what does it mean by "50 gallons"? And how do I connect this to a garden hose?

Mine is a bit different, but that's a popular one - yes. 50 gallons per day of RODI water. You'll probably need an adapter at your local Home Depot (etc.) but it does come with some of the plumbing fittings.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a bit different, but that's a popular one - yes. 50 gallons per day of RODI water. You'll probably need an adapter at your local Home Depot (etc.) but it does come with some of the plumbing fittings.
"The RO Buddie+DI will produce about 2 gallons of filtered water per hour if your water pressure is 65 PSI and the water temperature is 77°F." Does this mean that the water coming out is very slow? Is there any way to make the water come out at normal speed?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to stick with regular tap water converted to salt water, what size of UV filter do you recommend to combat any algae? Has anybody attempted this before?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The RO Buddie+DI will produce about 2 gallons of filtered water per hour if your water pressure is 65 PSI and the water temperature is 77°F." Does this mean that the water coming out is very slow? Is there any way to make the water come out at normal speed?
Yes. A storage/pressure tank will increase the flow.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pass on UV for algae control. It only works on particles in the water column. I ran 2 in the past and they did absolutely nothing for gha, cyano or diatoms. I didn't expect them to but many people think they do when they read they kill algae. To be honest I'm not sure what types algae they are supposed to kill. :thinking-face:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to stick with regular tap water converted to salt water, what size of UV filter do you recommend to combat any algae? Has anybody attempted this before?
This falls outside what I would recommend, so I can't suggest a path that would end up being successful (sorry).

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A storage/pressure tank will increase the flow.
Not really because it still typical slow RO rate going into the tank. The pressure tank just increases the flow out of the tank and are normally used for drinking water systems to push it out of the faucet. They will not speed up the RO process. A booster pump can help with that if input pressure is low.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really because it still typical slow RO rate going into the tank. The pressure tank just increases the flow out of the tank and are normally used for drinking water systems to push it out of the faucet. They will not speed up the RO process. A booster pump can help with that if input pressure is low.
The pressure tank will help boost the flow, but yes - having a storage tank is kind of "cheating" with respect to overall flow.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Too many issues that tap water will cause that make a UV filter well down the list of priorities. I would use the money to help save for an RODI.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an RODI unit, there is no excuse not to. There is no earthly thread pitch/count that you cant convert to/from. Yes you can hook them up to a garden hose with an adapter for that thread pitch/count, yes you can hook them up to a faucet, yes you can hard plumb them. Hell, I even have a contingency plan to filter collected rain water through my RO unit if SHTF...

UV does not remove any other contaminants from water such as heavy metals, salts, chlorine or man-made substances like petroleum products or pharmaceuticals.

The way the RODI process works requires pressure and time, just like reef keeping, if you cant handle either (or both) there are plenty of other hobbies that cost a lot less for the same punishment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back