what size pellet

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always fed my fish Hikari Marine S pellet foods. This food has always been a nightmare to use with any autofeeder since the size of the pellet is so small. At what point so i switch from this food to a larger pellet? The smallest fish I have is an orchid dottyback and next from that would be a clownfish that's close to a yr old.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use that brand but why not try the next larger size? I believe the size I use for similar size fish is 1-2 mm.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm going to try switching to the pemysis 2mm dry food. i just need something that works better w/ the neptune afs

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the 1mm pellets in my eheim auto feeder. I sealed off half of the exit door so it doesn’t drop too much food. I’ve been running about a year with half the door closed off on my auto feeder with good results.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 1mm pellets in my eheim auto feeder. I sealed off half of the exit door so it doesn’t drop too much food. I’ve been running about a year with half the door closed off on my auto feeder with good results.

I do something similiar. I have the neptune AFS set at the smallest opening and just have the feeder spin 4 times.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always fed my fish Hikari Marine S pellet foods. This food has always been a nightmare to use with any autofeeder since the size of the pellet is so small. At what point so i switch from this food to a larger pellet? The smallest fish I have is an orchid dottyback and next from that would be a clownfish that's close to a yr old.
I use the hikari marine S with an auto feeder. What I did was open the food dispensing slot to the smallest setting and then put electrical tape over half of that opening. I’d activate the feeder for 1 spin to gauge the amount of food and adjust accordingly. Works like a charm for me!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back