What size pump for a return do i need?

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll quickly offer my .02

.01 if you have to dial back your pump, a gate valve will be easier to adjust than a ball valve.

.02 try to figure out a way to support your plumbing. What you have hanging there, by PVC cement,...I wouldn't be able to sleep if it were mine. Hate to see ya flood your house.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $0.02 as well. Turn over through the sump is not nearly as important as within the tank 500-600 gph is plenty, and you aren't going to get any more than that with your drains.

Why can you only fit a 3/4" pipe in your 1" bulkhead? Flow is greatly restricted based on length of the smaller pipe, meaning if you have 1 or 1.25" above and below the bulkhead you will get WAY more flow than a 3/4" drain all the way to the sump.

We also have pumps, with a 2 year warranty and US based support. Feel free to call us to discuss them.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rio AC pumps are pretty good for the price. I used two for two years without issue.

mikes686

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Simplicity DC pump it is adjustable and works the best out of several pumps in past.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i go about supporting my plumbings? This is my first go at this and like you said id hate to come home to see Nemo plays fetch with my dog in the living room ;)

I had all sort of Rio pumps in the past, while they worked great, they didnt last long. Most crapped out in 12-14 months time.

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take a walk through the plumbing section of home depot or any hardware store. You'll find different types of straps. May have to do a little engineering, but you should be able to make something work.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill get some straps. Was thinking about putting some sort of wooden blocks to prop or shire up the pipes.thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back