What size pump for a return do i need?

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 125g 6ft long with two overflows. 1” bulkheads that fit a 3/4” pvc. How many gph do i need for a return pump? And im also on a budget so help me find one thats easy on my wallet thanks.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty broad question and one you will get 100 different answers for, are you looking for a DC or AC pump? Basically are you looking for a controllable pump or can you do without those features?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good budget minded pump is the Jebao. I believe their most recent pumps are the DCP pumps. These are adjustable pumps, and I don't like running at 100 percent, so I'd most likely go with something around DCP 8000, DCP 10,000 or DCP 13,000. You can dial them back to fit the flow of the overflows.

HERE's a link to Amazon for these pumps....as an example.

I'm assuming this is a sump directly below the tank. If a basement sump, you are now dealing with considerable head pressure, and a large pump would be needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good budget minded pump is the Jebao. I believe their most recent pumps are the DCP pumps. These are adjustable pumps, and I don't like running at 100 percent, so I'd most likely go with something around DCP 8000, DCP 10,000 or DCP 13,000. You can dial them back to fit the flow of the overflows.

HERE's a link to Amazon for these pumps....as an example.

I'm assuming this is a sump directly below the tank. If a basement sump, you are now dealing with considerable head pressure, and a large pump would be needed.

Dang it... i said affordable :) Babies’ mama done took my paycheck.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it... i said affordable :) Babies’ mama done took my paycheck.
Not trying to be rude, but are you joking? Those jebaos are about as reasonable of a return pump as you'll find. If you are in severe financial straits I would recommend holding off on a tank. The hobby is a lot more enjoyable when its not straining your budget to the breaking point. Best of luck and no animosity intended.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your over flow weir and GPH They can handle. This is what controls how much water you can push into the tank and get it all back into the sump not over flowing on the floor.

Get a pump rated a bit higher then you expect you can handle. You can then slow a dc pump with controller or ball valve on a ac pump.

Also you might want to use a manifold in the sump area to run other things such as media reactors ..
The brand to buy is a billion dollar loaded question. Best money vs value are the Jaboe pumps . You just have to keep them clean and the newer ones seem quite reliable.. I have dcp 8000 running in my sump for over a year .

My main pumps a reeflow hammerhead. they NEVER Stop working. But are Giant Power hungry monsters .at 5k gph

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i get away with a pump thats around 600pgh? Just trying to figure out what’d be enough to pump water from sump beneath the stand to DT.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude, but are you joking? Those jebaos are about as reasonable of a return pump as you'll find. If you are in severe financial straits I would recommend holding off on a tank. The hobby is a lot more enjoyable when its not straining your budget to the breaking point. Best of luck and no animosity intended.

I dontbusually drive down to a 711 to fetch a cup of coffee in a Ferrari like you playa. Kidding aside, I can easily afford a nice pump but always on a look out for a good deal.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C
Can i get away with a pump thats around 600pgh? Just trying to figure out what’d be enough to pump water from sump beneath the stand to DT.
Can you post a image of the tank and sump. inside the over flow boxes might also help.

This Question Really cant be properly answered without knowing more about your system.. meaning its overflow and sump capability .. 600 gph will give you about 4 to 5 x maybe a bit less turn over rate depending on your plumbing.. that 600 number is usually at the output on the pump.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics of the overflows in one shot. Then a pic of the pipe works from the right side of the tank. And finnaly the left side along woth the sump

3F450988-8E3D-47B0-A607-F91F91425ADC.jpeg

5F3A20ED-D793-483E-A746-259C43DB12FC.jpeg

48406482-0A7F-4B77-B18E-59C88EE946A1.jpeg

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dontbusually drive down to a 711 to fetch a cup of coffee in a Ferrari like you playa. Kidding aside, I can easily afford a nice pump but always on a look out for a good deal.

There's better places to cut costs than your mainline return pump....

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you took offense bro, none was intended. Best of luck on the hunt for the cheapest return pump. Just wanted to be sure the financial commitment of a tank wasn't taking food off your plate. Glad you're still balling ;)

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you took offense bro, none was intended. Best of luck on the hunt for the cheapest return pump. Just wanted to be sure the financial commitment of a tank wasn't taking food off your plate. Glad you're still balling ;)

Naw man. I bling bling from hurr to thurr. I make it rains everywhere i go, aint no pumps gonna keep me down ya heard!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that fit a 3/4” pvc.

This is your limitation. Dual 3/4" dursos just wont safely move much water - maybe 200 gph each. 400 total is OK for a 125 though. So look for a pump that will net at about that adjusted for your application.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety as in what? That one or the other will fail? I might have a 400-600 gph pond pump sitting somewhere in my garage. Thanks

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety as in what? That one or the other will fail? I might have a 400-600 gph pond pump sitting somewhere in my garage. Thanks

If you push to much water up into the display tank (having a pump to large without throttling it back with a valve) IT WILL Over run your weirs and Flood over the top of the tank Making a mess of water in the house..

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i just found my pond pump rated about 1000gph. Guess i will have to throttle down this puppy with a valve. Dont like that its a whopping 60w to operate.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D2F0B229-B110-4720-B2D4-7EF543ACE4DD.jpeg

I absolutely love this thing for my bottom-drilled 90-gallon, with sump. I only run it at a fraction of its capacity (maybe 14-16 watts), and that handles the return, a large recirculating skimmer, a BRS dual reactor, and a waterfall algae scrubber. Silent, too. At the price, if it gives out—even after only 18 months to 2 years— I’ll buy another one and not complain. :)

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a good budget return I also recommend Jebao. I have their original DC pump and its still going strong. Compare the price to a Varios or Vectra. For an AC pump Mag Drive or Ehiem. Shoot for 5X turn over to 10X max through the sump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back