What size return pump for 75-gallons?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size return pump would I want on a 75 gallon with around 4 feet of height? I have no experience with this lol I know you want like 5-10x more than tank volume but it’s really confusing and every manufacturer is different. What would you recommend I heard mag drive pumps are loud! And I don’t want that. What is everyone using for a similar tank size?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have to make sure you're overflow can handle the flow. So your head is not just the height from pump to tank, but every 90 deg bend is another ft. So in my setup the 1000gph pump delivers 500- 600 gph. To the tank.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You have to make sure you're overflow can handle the flow. So your head is not just the height from pump to tank, but every 90 deg bend is another ft. So in my setup the 1000gph pump delivers 500- 600 gph. To the tank.
I have a standard Lifereef overflow box and I saw their website says I don’t have too worry too much about the GPH rate.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a <roughly> 1000gph dc controllable pump from Amazon and call it a day. These are adjustable so you can pick what water level you want in your return chamber and customize to your needs. And being dc it’s more efficient than having to concert ac to dc.

Mine is (not available anymore) 1053gph, I have a 75g tank, and I only need to keep it at 40-50%. Paid 73$ in 2017, have cleaned it 3 times, and would not hesitate to buy another one like this. It’s completely silent running at 50%, has safety features, and feeding mode.

I’ve spent 200$ on name brand pumps before and have them die in 3 years. I’m not doing it again. These are all made in the same factories overseas.

Orlushy DC-4000 Silent Swirl Controllable DC aquarium Pump 25W 1050GPH-marine wavemaker return pump with sine wave Controller for salt/Freshwater coral reef fish tank sump Circulation https://a.co/d/aOZe1ak

Hygger 24V DC Water Pump Inline/Submersible Saltwater Aquarium Pump with LCD Display Controller 1060 GPH Return Pump for Coral Reef Tank Sump https://a.co/d/hRMxOQG

Last edited:

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Rule of thumb.. return pump with 5x to 10x of total volume. Let's say 750gph

- Personally I like DC pumps because they come with a controller to adjust flow.

- Another rule of thumb is to do not keep your pumps In their peak capacity. Just like driving a cars in high RPM for long time may cause an early failure. Return pump is a critical equipment so add a buffer of 20-30% on top. We have 975gph

- The water will travel from a sump underneath the display, I imagine. This height from sump to display (max head height) and the all curves in the pipes will also reduce the efficiency of the pump. Let's say more 30% - then we have around 1300gph.

I like sicce for their quality and low noise but for this ball park gph it will be already $300ish.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
- Rule of thumb.. return pump with 5x to 10x of total volume. Let's say 750gph

- Personally I like DC pumps because they come with a controller to adjust flow.

- Another rule of thumb is to do not keep your pumps In their peak capacity. Just like driving a cars in high RPM for long time may cause an early failure. Return pump is a critical equipment so add a buffer of 20-30% on top. We have 975gph

- The water will travel from a sump underneath the display, I imagine. This height from sump to display (max head height) and the all curves in the pipes will also reduce the efficiency of the pump. Let's say more 30% - then we have around 1300gph.

I like sicce for their quality and low noise but for this ball park gph it will be already $300ish.
I am thinking of this one! https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-pro-1000-gph.html What does everyone think? This what Jeff the maker of the overflow box and sump says. Or wait I want a controllable one don’t I?
IMG_5231.png

Last edited:

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll never ever buy another mag drive

He says you can get a DC one if it’s rated for 1500.

Jebao DCW SINE DC Controllable Water Pump (DCW-6000) https://a.co/d/3I9WTR8
I vote for the DC jebao or similar, 1500 is definitely fine.

Better running with free capacity than stressing the equipment and having failures.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one should be fine,it’s 900gph
Jebao DCW SINE DC Controllable Water Pump (DCW-3500) https://a.co/d/btU75Nk

User above has Jaebo DCP 5000 (1450 gph) on their 75 and it runs at the lowest speed. That’s too much

The original ones I posted are also fine. I agree with his recommendation for at least 900. I disagree that with dc you need at least 1500. Aim for dc pump with max output 900-1100 and you will be fine.

Your goal is less than 700 making it into the tank. And that’s the max. Most people want flow a little slower through the sump around 400gph. Any ones I recommended are capable of this, with plenty of flex room faster or slower to meet your goals

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one should be fine,it’s 900gph
Jebao DCW SINE DC Controllable Water Pump (DCW-3500) https://a.co/d/btU75Nk

User above has Jaebo DCP 5000 (1450 gph) on their 75 and it runs at the lowest speed. That’s too much

The original ones I posted are also fine. I agree with his recommendation for at least 900. I disagree that with dc you need at least 1500. Aim for dc pump with max output 900-1100 and you will be fine.

Your goal is less than 700 making it into the tank. And that’s the max. Most people want flow a little slower through the sump around 400gph. Any ones I recommended are capable of this, with plenty of flex room faster or slower to meet your goals
Are these quiet?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these quiet?

Any of these dc pumps would be very very quiet as long as they are not touching the wall of the sump

I personally would go with one of the ones from my first reply. They have digital screens to show your wattage usage and have more customization intervals.

The Jebao is a basic led graph of power and only gives like 8 settings and no feedback or error codes

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What size return pump would I want on a 75 gallon with around 4 feet of height? I have no experience with this lol I know you want like 5-10x more than tank volume but it’s really confusing and every manufacturer is different. What would you recommend I heard mag drive pumps are loud! And I don’t want that. What is everyone using for a similar tank size?
ecotech marine S2

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has asked what size sump, what is going into the sump (type of skimmer, ats, heater, reactors, roller filter, etc.), what type of tank/livestock, what else you are using for in tank flow, etc. Therefore, as well intentioned as all of the answers are, none of them can really be the correct answers, unless by luck!

Is drilling and an internal box of some kind completely out of the question?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has asked what size sump, what is going into the sump (type of skimmer, ats, heater, reactors, roller filter, etc.), what type of tank/livestock, what else you are using for in tank flow, etc. Therefore, as well intentioned as all of the answers are, none of them can really be the correct answers, unless by luck!

Sort of secondary things to consider.
Return should be compatible with the overflow primarily. Ones I listed can hit max or near max capability of the overflow she picked, and are adjustable to slower speeds (also compatible with her overflow) if needed due to unknown items in sump that might need lower flow. Most people don’t have high flow 1000gph going through the sump…any of these are more than capable of 300-700 with the controllers.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Is drilling and an internal box of some kind completely out of the question?
Correct! My tank can’t be drilled because it’s tempered glass and filled/set up already and has been. The sump will be 23x17. I will have two reactors, a skimmer, and return pump as well as the heater and ATO. It’s a fowlr tank and currently I have two powerheads. I want to change to a gyre pump in the future. The HOB overflow does have an internal box. Here is a little chart.
IMG_5234.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a medium sized pump. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

(I am always trying to be helpful.)

The more water you push thru the overflow the louder the total tank sounds will become. Flex hose connections for the return will help mitigate pump noise. :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back