What size sump?

TexasYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75G tank. Mainly softies, my beloved LPS and a Cap Monti. Lighting is ComPacs.

I want to use a sump, however, on my previous 35 Bowfront, the 10G seemed useless. I had a 55G capacity skimmer, that seemed useless, LR and Cheato, with live sand bed. I did regular water changes, and had T5's 4x24" mixed as lighting. SPS faded, LPS and Softies were fine.

For the 75G I want to ensure I have enough for everything. I've got a Reef Octopus 2000 Skimmer, will get what ever return pump I need, but my question is, what size tank should I get as the sump? A 30 Long will fit no problem, a 40 Long would fit, but make space.. tight. I was going to use a Std 30, but after my 55G Cichlid started to leak I had to use that as a back up.

I'm thinking, down pipe into a filter sock, then through the Cheato/Calerpa(? spelling) with live sand bed and live rock. The other end the Octopus. I don't want to start to go the Phosban etc route. I want to stay as natural as I can. If possible.

The thing is I'm using a simple Canister filter, and everything is happy, and yet on my 35 Bowfront (pre leak) with sump, I struggled.

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the biggest size sump you can fit in that stand but also leave yourself enough room for a few reactor down the line.I run GFO/carbon reactor in my sump.I have a very mix reef so the carbon help with the chemicals warfare.Try to get a 6 bulb fixture instead of 4 if you want to try sps again

OP
OP
TexasYeti

TexasYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks. Long term I would like to be adding LED's as the results, and the actual light is I find, more pleasing.

tcreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bigger the better in this case...leaves you some room for added options down the road. Plus, some added system volume never hurt anyone.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 40 breeder should fit under the 75. I run two 40b under my 120 and they are perfect for sumps!

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a 40B myself, Petco has their $1 a gallon sale going on now, silicone a few baffles and you are set

I would place the skimmer in the area with/next to the filter sock ( think of a skimmer as mechanical filtration)

Last edited:

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of my two sumps. I have the top 40 as a fuge and the lower as my skimmer and return. There are several different baffles in the tanks and it costs me about $40 for my local glass place to cut all of the pieces in 1/4" glass. I also grabbed these while petco had their $1 per gallon sell.

punynunu.jpg

OP
OP
TexasYeti

TexasYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, and I really like the 2 stage sump you have there Loki. I was going to go with a 30G I had, but had had a sudden leak from a crack in the bottom of my 55G Cichlid tank, so had to use it on the 10.30PM emergency tank swap. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a 40L.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back