What skimmer would you use? 240 mixed reef.

  • Thread starter Thread starter TomToro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TomToro

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
227
Reaction score
85
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need as many opinions on this as possible IMO. If you were me, what skimmer would you use. Here's a brief synopsis of my specs, problem(s) and the limitations for the skimmer choice:

Specs:
240 mixed reef (softies, zoas, lps, anemones)
Heavy bioload (4 tangs 3-4", coral beauty, six line, 2xClarkiis)
Kalk drip 24/7
2400gph overflows
2x55gallon sumps w/refugium
Bare Bottom
7x maxi jet all modded
4x Koralia 4s
Mag 24 return pump
Mag 7 return pump
Aqua 57w UV

Problem:
Lots of excess detritus and occasional cyano. Film on acrylic daily.

Skimmer limitations:
$1000 budget
External only (room for 10"x12"footprint in sump only. Sump sticks out, so it can be up to 6' tall, but only that footprint)
Can be up to 6' tall and 2'wide (external)
Electricity not a concern
Already have an Iwaki 55rlt 26.1head, Genx 40 22head Panworld 250 36head, mag 9.5 that I can use on a skimmer if it doesn't come with one.

I currently have an ETSS 800 w/Iwaki 55rlt and an AquaC 180 w/mag 9.5 running and they just don't make it. I've spent $800 collectively and would like to do this just one more time for this setup. I don't plan on doing a closed loop for this setup, but do plan on a glass-holes 1500gph overflow x 2 this winter to increase the turnover.

So, what would you guys use?

Thanks,
Tom Toro
 
You need a solid cone Tom... it's all about the cones! :D

ATB, BK/Vertex, WM, etc. although I'm bias and vote ATB :tongue:

LOL, How you doin' there, Stun? I would love the cone, but can't fit one anywhere unless I add another sump that's open. Can't imagine doing that. I already passed up that perfect deal about a month ago. I think it was a large Warner cone for 500. I couldn't fit it.

Take it easy,
Tom
 
do you dose vodka? it might initially make your cyano problem worse in the beginning, but would clear up your tank in the long run.
 
do you dose vodka? it might initially make your cyano problem worse in the beginning, but would clear up your tank in the long run.

Interesting you should say that. I just started the bacteria portion of this method on the sps tank with good results. I start dosing the vodka in 4 days. I have another 2 liters of the Bacter7 coming in from Aquacave (good folks) in a couple of days and was going to start that on the 240. Good call Gilmour.

I still feel I need a better skimmer. Everything I've read says a very good skimmer is one of the key factors for success with the 'super bacteria', vsv method.
 
my tank isnt nearly as large as yours ( a measely 75g...still planning the dream tank lol), but i noticed a huge difference when i implemented the bacter 7 and vodka. my sand is spotless now and the water has never been clearer. i'm sure someone on here can give you some good skimmer recommendations. best of luck!
 
the new ATB 8.5 is external, i believe

i have the ATB small cone and it's a beast!
 
Yes, ATB does offer some external cones now, ot sure if they fit the price though. I vote cone too Tom, my WM K2 is kicking some SERIOUS butt now.
 
I use a reef octopus and I LOVE it! This thing is a beast! Its skimming a 400 plus gallon system and the stuff it pulls is amazing!
 
Super Reef XP2000, or if you really need it to be external, Super Reef 6000 from CoralVue.
 
Super Reef XP2000, or if you really need it to be external, Super Reef 6000 from CoralVue.

399.00 for the 2000 Cone and it got a very good review, but internal only

649.00 for the SR 6000, external, not a cone, but rated for 500gal. I'll look for reviews.
Thanks,
Tom
 
I have the 200 I love it! 400 plus gallons and the skim it pulls is amazing! Its by far the best skimmer I've ever used
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new