OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Reef Dynamics INS300 running my 300DD. I think it's rated for 450 gallons. They are no longer made which is too bad. It's been my best skimmer so far.

Whatever you get, I recommend getting it used and saving a bunch of money. Huge skimmers are expensive, especially new, but they are also hard to sell secondhand because there aren't nearly as many people with huge tanks.

this is a very good point. I did look at ebay yesterday to see what was out there. once I know what size of tank I am going with I will hit the for sale threads and ebay pretty hard.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a coral box and an octopus. I like them both but the octopus is impossible to clean below the bubble plate. I can take the coral box completely down and clean like new and I like that the pump is inside so takes up less room in the sump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a very good point. I did look at ebay yesterday to see what was out there. once I know what size of tank I am going with I will hit the for sale threads and ebay pretty hard.

I've got a couple of used, large skimmers laying around. Probably not for the high range of your system size, but definately up to 300-400.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Lifereef guy. Never have to deal with an obsolete part or pump. Get one with the flange and you can make it as big as you want.
C1201B4C-CD3D-40EB-82EF-A0D13822B012.jpeg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple of used, large skimmers laying around. Probably not for the high range of your system size, but definately up to 300-400.

thanks for the heads up! I am a least a year out. but once i decide on the size and get "permission" from the other way I'll read out and see if you have them still around.

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lifereef on my 900 gallon system. I've had it for a pretty short time, but it seems pretty idiot proof. There really aren't parts that can fail aside from the pump and it can be replaced with any pump (also blueline pumps last a long time anyway).

Foam fractionation is a solved technology and has been for a long time. I want a foam fractionator that is simple, reliable, and low maintenance. There are many people with lifereef like skimmers that have used the same one for decades. I regret ever buying the needle wheel skimmer I have on my smaller system.

IMG_20200512_130246__02.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lifereef on my 900 gallon system. I've had it for a pretty short time, but it seems pretty idiot proof. There really aren't parts that can fail aside from the pump and it can be replaced with any pump (also blueline pumps last a long time anyway).

Foam fractionation is a solved technology and has been for a long time. I want a foam fractionator that is simple, reliable, and low maintenance. There are many people with lifereef like skimmers that have used the same one for decades. I regret ever buying the needle wheel skimmer I have on my smaller system.

IMG_20200512_130246__02.jpg

nice skimmer!

Bdroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using a cpr bakpak but hoping to upgrade soon...

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you finding the blue line pumps? I was thinking an AC pump might be cheaper to run?
I always thought Blueline and PanWorld were the same pump. They both use the same yellow color and the same description about the former Iwaki engineer. I have PanWorld pumps on my skimmer and main return pump.

But I would agree with what @Devaji said earlier, in that if I was starting over, I would go with MRC, since MTC isn’t around anymore. On the pricier side, but will last forever. My MTC skimmer is from the late 90’s and performs as well now as it did when it was new.

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you finding the blue line pumps? I was thinking an AC pump might be cheaper to run?

I dont know if the AC pump is cheaper to run. They tend to have higher wattages for a given flow rate, but they also run at higher pressures so they have an easier time pushing through that tiny Venturi nozzel. They are reliable and reasonably priced.

I wonder if anyone has measured the flow rate of one of an iwaki type pump after the Venturi vs a vectra or another decent DC pump. I don't know how a small nozzel relates to their published head pressures.

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone has measured the flow rate of one of an iwaki type pump after the Venturi vs a vectra I don't know how a small nozzel relates to their published head pressures.

To answer my own question, of course mazzei has done this.

https://mazzei.net/injector-performance/

Never thought to look before. Reliability is more important to me than electrical consumption. In ten years when I need a new one hopefully there is a similar quality DC pump.

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you guys getting these super large skimmers from? In the market for one my upcoming 400 gallon tank

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up! I am a least a year out. but once i decide on the size and get "permission" from the other way I'll read out and see if you have them still around.

of course, neither would fit under a stand lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back