What specific corals would do okay in a 2 litre tank

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what to do I have been in the hobby for a very long time it’s just that I have never gone down the coral route and I really like purple red and blue corals and months look quite nice even thought they are on the harder side of corals

I wouldn't say montipora are difficult, its just that anything stony in such a small tank requires a lot of attention

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have addressed those plans but will Montipora be okay in there
I suggest you research the care requirements of Montipora and then decide. May I suggest the search function in the upper right corner of this window?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about plating montiporas (Monti cap)? Monti setosas? Monti digitata? Encrusting montiporas? I would imagine that a tank that small only encrusting montiporas would look decent. How tall is the tank? Monti caps, no way. They'd fill out the tank in no time and you'd just be chopping it up. Digis would likely grow to the water level pretty quickly. Setosas would fill in your space quickly, too.

Will this tank have a sand bed or bare bottom?

What other corals catch your fancy? You could do a button scoly garden. Zoas have already been mentioned. Most leathers are going to grow too fast for such a small space.

For us to help, you'll need to give us more specifics:
1. Tank dimensions
2. Sump dimensions/location -- you say there's a sump
3. What light
4. What flow (return pump and powerheads)

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is along 3 to 5 cm long tank and I am looking for cap or encrusting it is just that I really like the couloirs red PURPLE blue. If there is any nice and easy red purple or blue corals please let me know sump dimension is the exact same as the tank realy.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buzz killers!! lol jk, im on the "you can do it" boat lol either way it's good practice or realization, don't anyone say ohhh the animals, I throw away more montipora in a trim session than this tank can hold 100 times over :( I try to give coral away...ps if anyone local (tampa fl) wants anything from my builds hit me up ANYTHING!

anyway it's probably best to start slow and easy they definitely have coral that is in the slow and easy category, montipora is not in that category for a 2L first coral tank, unfortunately
good luck tho it's fun getting into coral once you've been doing fish only for so long. it makes tanks a little more interesting.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are set on getting montipora, so just do it. You've provided almost no useful information for us to formulate any sort of guidance, and "It is along 3 to 5 cm long tank" is not a tank dimension. I wish you good luck with the project and will keep an eye out for your pico tank build.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is this tank
8C1456CA-7012-4F39-AE28-87CFC101A234.png

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is this tank
8C1456CA-7012-4F39-AE28-87CFC101A234.png
Is this the PNW Custom 0.3gal micro tank?

You can get some pretty decent ideas about micro tank builds from google images, like the following:
1698265812405.jpeg

1698265835285.jpeg

Montis and other SPS could work in this, but you'll have to keep them trimmed. It's a 10watt light. I'm using a 60watt over a 10gallon, so I think this scales down OK. You could keep parameters by doing daily water changes--not that hard when all you need is a turkey baster.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back