What specific corals would do okay in a 2 litre tank

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, I'd probably go with something cost friendly and large movement in small space. I.E. Zoas, GSP, Clove Polyps.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have bigger tanks but they don’t have the right light and a bunch of coral eaters are in there

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a monti would do okay in there the light is good enough for a monti it has low medium and high light

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you have to keep the light on all the time even at night or do you switch it off at night

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a two litre marine tank with sump just wondering what corals I can put in there .
that's cool!!! can I see the tank and sump?

I'd say almost any corals could go in there, you just may have to cut back and maintain them more often, that would be a good tank for some small zoas and mushrooms but really anything would work!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
due to details in post #6 this system should not be setup, study and prep time isn't ready yet. there are so many other preparation steps needed to know beyond whether the lights go on and off-my recommend is don't start with a half gallon tank as the first setup.

for example, how is salinity predicted to fare in this expected setup (not good)

tiny picos require a salinity plan at the bare minimum

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will send a picture of the tank I have ordered it it is Kent to come on the 3rd of November

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but if you're not certain of the care requirements of the coral and how best to replicate an environment in which they will thrive, you should avoid this project.

How do you plan to address:
1. Very rapid changes in the environment due to small water volume? I'm speaking of temp, salinity, N03, P04, Alk, Ca, Mg stability
2. Light intensity, PAR, PUR/spectrum
3. Flow
4. Ongoing maintenance
5. Emergency scenarios

If you haven't considered those basic questions, you should consider a much larger tank. Small tanks are harder/more difficult, not easier!

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been answered. Any coral will be okay in there provided you can offer the proper water quality requirements for it.

Keep in mind that these are still animals and it doesn't seem like you're fully prepared for keeping a Monti in a half gallon tank.

Any reason you're so set on them? I imagine they'd look a bit boring in a tiny tank with nothing else in it.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured they look so cool and I have been in this hobby for 10 years I know what I am doing with fish but I am just starting with corals also I do have bigger tanks set up

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off of the questions you are asking, I honestly would only stick with soft corals and avoid anything with a stony skeleton. Otherwise you will have to be on top of testing and dosing as they will drain calcium and alkalinity rapidly in such a small tank as they grow, which may be difficult/stressful for someone who is still at your stage in reef keeping.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what to do I have been in the hobby for a very long time it’s just that I have never gone down the coral route and I really like purple red and blue corals and months look quite nice even thought they are on the harder side of corals

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back