What submersible Return Pump do you recommend?

Arlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of submersible return pump do you guys recommend that can give the most flow in gallons per hour at a pumping height of 6 feet? (and one that lasts a long time).

My new tank setup is 11 feet long by 2 feet wide by 2 feet high which is about 329 gallons, and it will be fish only, so the recommended flow should be 5 to 10 times, meaning from 1700 to 3350 gallons per hour.

Thank you!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The longest lasting submersible pumps I have seen ( been in the hobby 35+ years ) absolutely has to be Mag pumps.
I have a couple that are part time pumps and they are 15 years or better.
They are not the quietest pumps, but they are a serious work horse.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you looking for a single pump solution or going to run multiple pumps?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for single AC pumps. I like water blaster. I have one from 2012 still pumping along. I’m going dc on my new tank and will be using the water blaster for water mixing station.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you wanted quiet, then I would go with Vectra L2.
But I guess the amount of flow you can have will also depend on your overflow capacity.

OP
OP
Arlo

Arlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted quiet, then I would go with Vectra L2.
But I guess the amount of flow you can have will also depend on your overflow capacity.

I don't mind the noise, but since the tank panels are tempered glass I can't drill the tank to make the overflow that I want, so that's why I will be using an HOB overflow like this one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pf-1800-hob-overflow-eshopps.html so it will give me 1600 gallons an hour.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind the noise, but since the tank panels are tempered glass I can't drill the tank to make the overflow that I want, so that's why I will be using an HOB overflow like this one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pf-1800-hob-overflow-eshopps.html so it will give me 1600 gallons an hour.

This is super important information. So when I think about using HOB overflows, it's all about managing risk of the overflow not working.

So with that said, I would choose a pump that your overflow box will handle at 100% and I would even recommend that you run the pump at 100%. Imagine if you were running a DC pump at 50%, made adjustments to make the overflow quiet. Then at some point, the controller goes crazy and bumps it to 100% and creates a mess.

With that said, I'd look at your budget and buy two return pump and keep one as a spare just in case and just them at 100%.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

So you need to be under 1600gph. I wouldn't want to try and push it to the max, so I would go for 1200-1400 gph.
That gives you more flexibility on pumps.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need to be under 1600gph. I wouldn't want to try and push it to the max, so I would go for 1200-1400 gph.
That gives you more flexibility on pumps.
Agreed 200% a lot of overflows overstate their capacity. I'd even drop it to aiming for 800gph pump.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with Sicce ADV series AC pumps. Completely quiet and solid reputation and warranty. HOB overflow would be my absolute biggest worry. I'd consider running two overflows on a tank that size, with total GPM at 6' head of about 1600.

Back