What tank to get

kaden192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have been keeping fresh water fish tanks for 3 years and finally decided to join the saltwater, I've been doing my research for 1 month now and think im ready! And now im decided on what tank to get but no bigger than 20 gallons to start, whats your input on what tank to get?

vdubtech25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common size to start with is a 40breeder because it has great footprint for aquascaping. Just remember the smaller the water volume the quicker parameters can change from evaporation, Alk/Cal consumption. It really depends on a few factors like FOWLR or Reef, time avaliblity, budget, etc. What are your goals for the set up?

OP
OP
K

kaden192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common size to start with is a 40breeder because it has great footprint for aquascaping. Just remember the smaller the water volume the quicker parameters can change from evaporation, Alk/Cal consumption. It really depends on a few factors like FOWLR or Reef, time avaliblity, budget, etc. What are your goals for the set up?

Im just trying to get a couple of corals and two small fish to start with

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a 13.5 gal evo reef tank and it's amazing you can get up to 5 fish and as many corals as possible

TylerStengel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABFB9ADD-1714-4D80-9ACB-A5EAA29DA7DB.jpeg
I am looking at buying a Aquatop Recife 24 Gallon system. It comes with a skimmer, return pump, light, heater, filter sock, 7 gallon sump, and a stand for $699.99. I am also new to saltwater. I am looking to start a reef tank. Does anyone know if this is a good tank? Also I do not want a all in one with the sump connected to the tank I want it below in the stand.

TylerStengel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at buying a Aquatop Recife 24 Gallon system. It comes with a skimmer, return pump, light, heater, filter sock, 7 gallon sump, and a stand for $699.99. I am also new to saltwater. I am looking to start a reef tank. Does anyone know if this is a good tank? Also I do not want a all in one with the sump connected to the tank I want it below in the stand.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

What light does that set come with? I kinda doubt it will support corals unless it's a T5. And I will also 2nd the opinion that small tanks are harder to keep than larger ones when it comes to if/when something goes wrong

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is a good deal on that setup from what I just googled. I would be a little leery about that light though. You might be able to keep some softies with it but I doubt any SPS would survive with only a 20 watt LED

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the rimless innovative marine 20g is nice. You can get the peninsula tank too depending on your space.

TylerStengel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on upgrading the light and possibly the skimmer. What do you think about upgrading to an aqua illumination prime he led light? Another one I know about is the nanobox duo! If not these what other option would you reccomend. I’m a college student trying to get into the hobby and I’m on a budget but I don’t want to cut corners that could end badly.

TylerStengel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Fudsey for the welcome. Also I was looking at putting a ecoTech Vortech mp10 for the wave maker. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback because I need all the information I can get. The thing I don’t like abou the innovative marine 20 gallon tanks is the skimmers that you can fit in the back are very limited and from what I’ve heard not very good. I don’t want a skimmer that is sticking out of the tank either. I’ve heard dumps are the way to go if you have the money. I also stopped at the aquatic experience expo this past weekend.

Last edited:

rsanga87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really delayed response, but a 40b with a decent light with a 10g sump cheapest way to get in the game

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back