WHAT TANKMATES FOR COWFISH?

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered a couple of cowfishes and boxfishes and sadly i didnt make read so much about them and since doing so i am so worried i will kill them or kill my tank.
Can i keep a longnose butterfly and copperbands with it?
Someone please tell me if i want to catch them to use my hands or net and also how do i not let them relase a toxin and is it that popular for them to realse toxin very easy?
PLEASE HELPP!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered a couple of cowfishes and boxfishes and sadly i didnt make read so much about them and since doing so i am so worried i will kill them or kill my tank.
Can i keep a longnose butterfly and copperbands with it?
Someone please tell me if i want to catch them to use my hands or net and also how do i not let them relase a toxin and is it that popular for them to realse toxin very easy?
PLEASE HELPP!
Only have experience with longhorns, none of those released their toxins.

I'd put on rubber gloves while using net, if you feel the need to remove a boxfish / cowfish.

What are suitable tank mates for Cowfish?​

Placing the longhorn cowfish with the correct tank mates is highly important in order to prevent them from feeling threatened and releasing their toxin. Species such as dwarf/large angels, batfish, blennies, basslets, clown fish, dartfish, hogfish, and tangs are all good choices.

Caution should be applied when considering species such as other boxfish, puffers, triggerfish, hawkfish
, and invertebrates. Longhorn cowfish eat invertebrates so they may be best avoided altogether.

Species which are completely incompatible include sharks, rays, seahorses and the cleaner wrasse. These will pester a longhorn cowfish to death chasing them around in order to clean them. There should be no aggressive fish at all kept with a longhorn cowfish.

Old Reef 2 Reef "opinion" thread

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a cowfish in my reef for 3 years and no issues with other fish. When he was smaller he got out competed for food since he was very slow moving. But now that he is grown he eats great and all of my other fish leave him alone.
He will pick at clean up crew especially when you first add them but once they get settled in and start hiding in the rocks it’s usually not a problem

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back