What the conch?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these things survive? I'll be honest, I thought I've looking at a shell for the past 6 months. Look at the tank every day...did it move....maybe it moved...maybe urchin just moved it... The other day the urchin got on it and it woke up! It tried to get the urchin off with a couple jerks. Urchin moved on and the conch hasn't moved since. What the... How is it surviving? I've been reading they do this but, what is it eating?
1716220539756.png

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My strawberry conch is sluggish but can also zip around the tank. I've seen it half bury into the sand bed and stay immobile for a day at most. I'm not entirely sure what it subsists on, I often see it working on the rocks, glass and sand. Was thinking of augmenting the diet with some algae pellets or something of the sort

Joseph_Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually have a low metabolism like some other species. Thus they dont need to eat so often knowing they move like 1 inch per day. Not a huge effort.
I am fascinated by them. I added a New conch 3 days ago and I saw some hermit crabs coming to eat the tiny algae on his shell. I thought they were coming to eat him, but he is tough enough.
Don't worry about them

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what species this is tbh. Fighting conch I think it said at the lfs. It moved around a bit when I first got it then one day it just parked. It's obviously sustaining itself on something so I'll let him do his thing. Maybe detritus in the sand in that little area it's in is enough? Sometimes the powerhead pattern blows sand over half the shell... What an odd and interesting creature.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back