what the heck is going on??

ReapersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, about a month ago, I set up my first sump ever. I received this macroalgae from a friend in the hobby (i know this is not recommended, but it was full of pods, and healthy when I received it with no pests). he told me it was "dragons breath" however upon googling and searching, I am not sure that this is even dragons breath? Secondly, the real question here, what would cause it to turn green?? I have had it under 50% blues for a week. it was under higher light, but once I noticed it changing color I dropped the light % in hopes it would help it... I'm not sure if I should even leave it in there at this point, but I will also add my parameters (im doing a fish in cycle, and maybe the parameters are the reason its declining). any suggestions or help would be great! Alk: 9.2, Calcium: 419, Phosphate: 0.29,PH: 8.2, Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate: 15ppm, Salinity: 1.025. (I didn't notice till this test, my tank is finally cycled!) i added pics of my system while I waited for the tests to develop, enjoy.

IMG_20210503_001707[833].jpg IMG_20210503_003109[837].jpg IMG_20210503_003139[836].jpg IMG_20210503_003149[835].jpg

Attachments

• received_257017782823495[834]_Trim.mp4
    1.1 MB

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i received it, it was all red....

Just my best guess because that green "spirally" algae is not dragons breath but does look like cheato.

If it is in a refugium i see no reason to toss it unless it is a "display refugium" that you going for a certain look. If the goal is to consume nutrients only keep it in there.

Upvote 0

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, about a month ago, I set up my first sump ever. I received this macroalgae from a friend in the hobby (i know this is not recommended, but it was full of pods, and healthy when I received it with no pests). he told me it was "dragons breath" however upon googling and searching, I am not sure that this is even dragons breath? Secondly, the real question here, what would cause it to turn green?? I have had it under 50% blues for a week. it was under higher light, but once I noticed it changing color I dropped the light % in hopes it would help it... I'm not sure if I should even leave it in there at this point, but I will also add my parameters (im doing a fish in cycle, and maybe the parameters are the reason its declining). any suggestions or help would be great! Alk: 9.2, Calcium: 419, Phosphate: 0.29,PH: 8.2, Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate: 15ppm, Salinity: 1.025. (I didn't notice till this test, my tank is finally cycled!) i added pics of my system while I waited for the tests to develop, enjoy.
How is the macro algae looking today color wise?

Upvote 0

Manny D. Mandarin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost all green and disintegrating? I have 10ppm nitrates, and a light on them, not too sure why it's dying but I think the green is just a sign of it's death?
If it is falling a part I would just take the whole thing out as it sounds like there isn't much left to save.

Upvote 0

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like Manny mentioned it might be best to toss it but if there are any pieces of the macro algae that are red and not falling a part it couldn't hurt to try to keep them.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back