What to do about Talbot's Damselfish aggression towards shrimp?

Bayinaung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced 2 peppermint shrimps to deal with the aiptasia infestation. Unfortunately, while other fishes ignore the shrimps the single Talbot's damselfish has taken a disliking to them and made these aggressive dashes at them that drove them into hiding. They haven't come out since, and the aiptasia does not look to be touched at all. I'm not sure to do at this point. I have never heard of any damsels being aggressive towards shrimps at all. Has anyone seen this? This particular Talbot I've had for 3 years. I am not sure as to what to do - remove the damsel or wait and see how this plays out?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just wait, Pepermints do most of their dirty work after hours. This could be a reason you don't see much of them out in the open.
On another note, they don't always go after aptasia either, they can be hit and miss... If the aptasia are in the open I would mix up some kalkwasser paste and nuke them with it...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait and see how this plays out.
Assume these peps are new in the tank?

OP
OP
B

Bayinaung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait and see how this plays out.
Assume these peps are new in the tank?

Yes they are new to the tank. a few days now. In my old tank the shrimps didn't wait long at all to go to work. within a couple of hours they were attacking the aiptasia that were out in the open while the lights are on.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsel is probably showing them who he is in the tank.
Let it be for a few days and hopully they aren’t a miss as @Reeferdood mentioned

U

User1

View Badges
Peppermints are after hours lights out fellas anyway outside of when you feed. It may have crossed into the Talbot's area so it chased it away. My trio used to move everybody who came within it be it snail, shrimp, or hermit crab. Fish more or less had a pass but anything movable and not secure was picked up and moved.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are hit-and-miss for aiptasia. They also are pretty reclusive. I wouldn't worry.

Back