What to do for an electrical short in the system.

  • Thread starter Thread starter stanleo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2014
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
1,931
Location
Statesville, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system has been up and running 7 years now. Before I left for a month long trip I changed almost all the equipment except the heater, one powerhead, the grounding probe and the Apex controller. Everything is on the Apex. I recently got back and today is the first day I put my hand in the water. I got a mild shock and this tripped the GFCI outlet. None of the animals seem to be bothered but when I reset the outlet, the charge is back. I have to go to work in a few and tomorrow I am spending the whole day in New York so can't do much until the next day. I was thinking in the interim I could put a new grounding probe in until I find the equipment that is shorting and replace it. Thoughts?
 
Ok I found the short. It was the old powerhead. I will replace it and the heater to be on the safe side. And get a new grounding probe.
 
Glad you got it figured out safely.

I started using titanium heaters in part because I learned that they also serve as a grounding probe for the tank too.

Good luck!
 
Ok I found the short. It was the old powerhead. I will replace it and the heater to be on the safe side. And get a new grounding probe.
I am confused, you say “new” ground probe. Had you removed the old one?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new