what to do next

stuart szela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a good size tank and want to set it up as a reef tank but don't know what I'm doing just saw some nice ones and want to bold one of my owen please help the tank has no holes in it someone told me I need to buy a bulkhead kit

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how big is "good size"? Also do you know anything about fish keeping already? Also a warm welcome to R2R

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before buying the kit you need to check your tank and see what type of glass its built of. Tempered glass is not really drill-able. It can be done but there is a good chance drilling will crack your tank. Some tanks have just tempered glass bottoms while others are completely non-tempered. You'll need to figure out the glass first before drilling to save yourself money and time. If I'm not mistaken, there are ways or methods to determine tempered glass. Unfortunately, I do not know them.

If your unsure of the glass or even drilling, you can use [overflows], which will drain your water similar to drilled tanks.

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you pause and take some time doing research. Rushing into the hobby will make you quit even faster. Do some reading and ask away. This is probably one of the best most helpful reefing communities out there.

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree that you should do a lot of reading before going any further. I made the mistake of listening to a LFS and bought what he thought I needed but have since replaced about 50% of the purchased items with better, more reliable items for not much more than the original purchase. Read reviews on pumps, heaters, overflows, sand/gravel. rock, etc. There are a lot of sites including this one that have a lot of pros and cons about different setups and options. If you Google or Bing "how to setup a saltwater aquarium" you will get hundreds of views, option and videos of how others have done it. My first tank a 75G and is not drilled while my second is 75G that is drilled with an internal overflow.
Do you want a: Fish only - FO, Fish only with live rock - FOWLR, Reef Tank, etc. Each will require different things like lighting and flow.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research first. Look at the tank builds on this site. You can always get an overflow box for the tank instead of drilling. I would suggest going FOWLR, fish only with live rock, first. Once you have that mastered then move on to corals. This way it won't be such a big hit to your pocket. Fish require less than corals. By then you should have an idea of the lighting and equipment you will need to keep the corals you want.

OP
OP
S

stuart szela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a good size tank and want to set it up as a reef tank but don't know what I'm doing just saw some nice ones and want to bold one of my owen please help the tank has no holes in it someone told me I need to buy a bulkhead kit
The tank is 48x18x19
Well how big is "good size"? Also do you know anything about fish keeping already? Also a warm welcome to R2R

OP
OP
S

stuart szela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bottom of the tank there is a sticker that says.. this bottom is tempered glass for strength and reliability do not drill

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bottom of the tank there is a sticker that says.. this bottom is tempered glass for strength and reliability do not drill

to double check put on some polarized sunglasses and look thru the glass in the sunlight...the bottom which is tempered should have wavy lines...if the sides/front/bottom are not tempered then they shouldn't have wavy lines...

+1 on research...I would suggest you write down the process in stages then write out the steps of each stage to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into :)
For example, Stage I would be Basic Setup Stage 2 would be Water & Cycling Stage 3 would be stocking and care Stage 4 would be maintenance...
Basic setup steps would include stuff like
1) tank
2) leak check
3) stand
4) placement in room
5) type of tank- fish only, reef
6) filtration choice (sump, HOB, even canister filters)
7) other basic equipment- heaters, thermometer, power head, etc etc

One thing about this hobby I love to plan things out and research each step to make my decision...

btw...this was just an example off the top of my head...I have everything written down in a tank journal...

OP
OP
S

stuart szela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank on a stand a heater two hang on back filters and a double air pump that pumps air in to this plastic grid on the bottom tried to upload a pic but can't figure how to

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank on a stand a heater two hang on back filters and a double air pump that pumps air in to this plastic grid on the bottom tried to upload a pic but can't figure how to

the plastic grid is probably an undergravel filter...used more freshwater, and not used much in general...

I just copy and paste into the reply window...easiest way to put up a picture

OP
OP
S

stuart szela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the plastic grid is probably an undergravel filter...used more freshwater, and not used much in general...

I just copy and paste into the reply window...easiest way to put up a picture
..It say the upload files doesn't have a extension

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..It say the upload files doesn't have a extension

Hmmm....I just open an image file on my computer and it displays the picture in the default image viewer...then I right click on the image and select Copy...then click in the reply window and right click and select Paste (this is for windows obviously)...I actually never tried the clicking on the image icon to insert a photo nor have I used Upload a file button....hope this makes sense

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank in 1986 or so did use an under gravel filter and two power heads. I would not repeat that now. You can easily go with a wet/dry filter like an ESHOPP's that comes with an overflow box or add to your adventure and purchase a smaller aquarium, say 30G, and make your own sump with filter, skimmer (I believe you need this for a reef tank), refugium if you like. You can go with a CPR Overflow box to feed the sump and won't need to drill the tank.
I did start my 75G with a wet/dry but converted over to a DIY sump out of a 20 gallon tank. I started my second 75G with a pre drilled tank and DIY sump out of a 30 gallon tank. You can get smaller tanks at Petco for $1 per gallon. There are also smaller stores, not the chain stores, that do have $1/gallon sales but you have to look around.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh No! I am still using my undergravel filter since 1971, am I bad? :eek:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back