What to do now?

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this last month I had an outbreak of flukes, and fortunately everything but the Possum Wrasse and the Sleeper Goby made it. I dipped all fish in formalin, methelyne blue and did some freshwater baths. The two fish I lost were the most affected, they were basically covered in flukes, and refused food even after they had been treated. I think the stress of the treatment and being caught finished them off.
All the other fish made it, Ocellaris Clown pair, Yellow Assessor and Pink Streaked Wrasse. There aren't any other signs of flukes on the fish, and nothing has been added for about a month.
I have no plans to add anything else for a bit, and I don't really know what I want to do, having dealt a problem like this sort of takes the joy out of the hobby.

On top of this, the tank I was meant to pick up has a major crack, and I'm no longer purchasing it. I'm just a bit bummed about everything at the moment.

I've been going back over my stocking plans, and I'm not sure what I want to continue with actually getting. I'll put the list of fish that were being considered in, and if anyone has any suggestions or input on what they think I should do, that would be nice.
Citron Goby
China Wrasse (Too difficult?)
Brunneus Fairy Wrasse
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Randall's Assessor (Bad with Yellow Assessor?)
Timor Wrasse (Aggressive?)
Sunburst Anthias
Biocellatus Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse (Stress other fish out with cleaning?)
Longnose Hawkfish (Predatory?)
Meleagris Leopard Wrasse (Too difficult?)
Gold Nugget Wrasse
Purple Firefish
Naoko/Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Aggressive?)
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Zebra Barred Dartfish

Thanks

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I recently went through something similar that had me losing the joy in the hobby recently. An equipment failure leached heavy metals into the water killing almost all my anemones, coral, cuc (including my 2 abalones), and about half my fish including my favorite gang of 5 orange spotted filefish that were spawning that I’d had for 3 years. I basically allowed myself a few months to recover, essentially just doing the bare minimum to keep the remaining livestock ok. After a few months, I cleaned up the tank some and started to get the ‘itch’ again.

Give yourself a break and time to deal with the losses and just wait a while before making the decision on what to do next.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back