What to do should I get paly toxin poisoning

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Datnerd14, Apr 20, 2017.

  1. Datnerd14

    Datnerd14 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2017
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    15
    So I intend on doing palythoa's in my reef tank what should I do should I get palytoxin poisoning

    Also what are some symptoms Of play poisoning

    On the note of toxins are golden dwarf morays venomous
     
    AwildcatsZ likes this.
    Tags:
  2. Neil Fox

    Neil Fox Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2016
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    173
    Pass out the prayer-books...

    Symptoms, metallic taste in the mouth, burning sensation in the skin, similar to stepping into too hot a shower when it initially feels cold. Get to ER fast. Paly toxin is second only to Ricin when it comes to toxicity. The second most deadly poison on Earth. That being said most of the time we only get a little bit. Handle with gloves and be careful.
     
    stevo01 and NakiFantaki like this.
  3. JaimeAdams

    JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award PMAS Member Reef Squad

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2015
    Messages:
    1,798
    Likes Received:
    1,847
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yeah go to the E.R. That being said, hundreds of thousands if not millions of people have paly/zoas and they all have the toxin. Just don't eat them, boil them or squirt them in your eyes and you should be good.
     
    Rockinbajajim and stevo01 like this.
  4. JHuneke

    JHuneke Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    94
    Location:
    So.Cal
    [​IMG]wear gloves!! And glasses .. and in doing a surgical mask next time! I had metallic/ lemon taste on lips and mouth, constant sneezing and rough cough for days. Needed steroids and antibiotics for cuts I got from handling live rock while scraping the demon plays off of it. No joke .. be extra careful not to touch your eye! My son did , after only touching the rock aquascaping , and rock has plays on it.. [​IMG]
    Was lucky after fighting with it for 2 weeks that he didn't lose any sight!
     
    Seyoz, ThunderGoose, stevo01 and 2 others like this.
  5. rockhead51

    rockhead51 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2017
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    66
    Not a bad idea to make sure that anyone who takes you to the hospital knows to tell the docs that you are an aquarist and have animals that produce palyotoxin...
     
    Seyoz, stevo01 and Neil Fox like this.
  6. powers2001

    powers2001 started reefing 1999

    Joined:
    May 2, 2013
    Messages:
    1,618
    Likes Received:
    130
    Location:
    MONTANA^^^Big Sky Country
    Best Thing to do: don't get zoanthids in the first place!!
     
    Jisko, BigJohnny and JHuneke like this.
  7. rockhead51

    rockhead51 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2017
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    66
    But Zoas are purty....
     
    94Roarge, Seyoz and Murica like this.
  8. Vaughn17

    Vaughn17 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2014
    Messages:
    602
    Likes Received:
    396
    Location:
    gig harbor wa
    Buy zoas not palys. None of mine (zoas) appear to be more than mildy toxic (and that's just one of my many). From what I've read, true palys are the really toxic ones. Don't buy any with "death" in the name, lol.
     
    Neil Fox likes this.
  9. Datnerd14

    Datnerd14 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2017
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    15
    Can a bandanna over the mouth gloves up to the shoulder and eye goggles then blue jeans cover me all right. Also I put palytoxins on my phones health app so just in case I know it's the second most toxic non protein toxin

    Also is the particular moray toxic bite wise
    And after was hands and arms
     
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    mcwhng likes this.
  10. Tuffyyyyy

    Tuffyyyyy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2016
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    274
    Location:
    BHM
    Well. This thread is helpful. I've had a bump that looks similar to the picture above on my finger for a few days and can't figure out what it's from. No palys, only zoas and none of the other symptoms.
     
  11. Datnerd14

    Datnerd14 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2017
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    15
    Glad it was helpful it has definitely helped me to be prepared ​
     
  12. rockhead51

    rockhead51 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2017
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    66
    When I am working on my Zoas, I wear latex gloves, and keep the Zoas inside a glass dish submerged in tank water. Plus I wear glasses. I try NOT to touch my Palys unless I have to...
     
    Seyoz likes this.
  13. Datnerd14

    Datnerd14 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2017
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    15
    I'm going to try to cover as much skin as possible aka blue jeans ,bandanna over mouth and nose ,closed toed shoes, safety goggles and gloves up to shoulders
     
    NakiFantaki likes this.
  14. Lasse

    Lasse Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2016
    Messages:
    586
    Likes Received:
    1,329
    Location:
    Källarliden 14 D Bohus, Sweden
    If it persists for a long time - try to test for Mycobacterium marinum

    Sincerely Lasse
     
    ThunderGoose likes this.
  15. Neil Fox

    Neil Fox Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2016
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    173
    Zoas aren't much of a problem, it's paly's. Paly's can form a mat on the sand, Zoas need a rock substrate. Palythoa Grandis is quite possibly the most dangerous one normally encountered.
     
  16. Datnerd14

    Datnerd14 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2017
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    15
    So your designer "hornet,utter chaos, and a god of war"are less toxic?
     
  17. Waters

    Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2013
    Messages:
    2,045
    Likes Received:
    953
    Location:
    Mentor, OH
    No, Golden Dwarf Morays are not venomous.
     
    Lowstorm and Robin Haselden like this.
  18. Robin Haselden

    Robin Haselden Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2017
    Messages:
    648
    Likes Received:
    489
    Location:
    South Carolina
    The only thing you'll get from a golden dwarf moray is a nasty bite and most likely a secondary bacterial infection.

    This is mine...
    [​IMG]

    And here's an x-ray of a moray's mouth...
    [​IMG]

    They have two sets of jaws that work together to pull food down into the stomach. No snake fangs involved.

    That being said, zoa's aren't going to shoot toxin at you like a spitting cobra. Just wear gloves and goggles and keep your mouth shut when fragging them.
     
    Lowstorm likes this.
  19. Reefrookie220

    Reefrookie220 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2015
    Messages:
    2,171
    Likes Received:
    844
    Location:
    Tennessee
    Imho, don't eat them, don't take them out and play with them, don't put them on your eyes like spa cucumbers and your golden.

    But seriously, just use common sense. With all the info available if you get poisoned, it's your own fault. Like anything in this hobby it takes some reading.
     
  20. badd

    badd Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2016
    Messages:
    222
    Likes Received:
    234
    Location:
    Belpre, Ohio
    I get those little brown spots from handling palys..
     

Share This Page

Loading...