What To Do With 3d Printer Scraps?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I got into 3d printing a month ago, and have made some cool things for reefing. I like designing and trying out new items, but the waste can really pile up from filament changes and failed prints. My area doesn’t offer recycling, and I saw that petg and pla aren’t commonly recycled anyway. A $6000 filament recycler is not an option for me either. So what do you do with all those scraps? Thanks!

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have purchased silicone molds, and taken the scraps of many different colors, some of them being glow in the dark, and stuffed them into the molds. made clear epoxy cups, pencil holders, vases, light bulbs, and anything else you can find at michaels or online as far as silicone molds go. then i give them to people instead of putting a ton of plastic trash in my trash and thinking im not making a big problem for someone elses children. Why ? because it seals all of my disgusting plastic that is horrible for the environment somewhere (inside resin) that it should, hopefully, never cause the 3d printing hobby to earn a reputation as people who dont care about making sure the properly use a ton of non-recyclable materials

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have purchased silicone molds, and taken the scraps of many different colors, some of them being glow in the dark, and stuffed them into the molds. made clear epoxy cups, pencil holders, vases, light bulbs, and anything else you can find at michaels or online as far as silicone molds go. then i give them to people instead of putting a ton of plastic trash in my trash and thinking im not making a big problem for someone elses children. Why ? because it seals all of my disgusting plastic that is horrible for the environment somewhere (inside resin) that it should, hopefully, never cause the 3d printing hobby to earn a reputation as people who dont care about making sure the properly use a ton of non-recyclable materials
I like that idea! My daughter likes to make epoxy things, so I might be able to do a combined project with her now. Thanks!

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be awesome is if households could start treating their 3D printers as a way to cut down on every day costs to make themselves happier. Then we can start treating the waste as something that is, at the end of the day, absolutely waste. There are YouTube videos of people taking their filament, showing how it can be repurposed right back into filament or countless trillions of other things, we are at a time unfortunately where the lack of information is doing nothing but hurting anyone other than the ones who are making money from it. The next logical step in my opinion would be to start thinking there are a ton of houses in the world making a ton of scrap plastic, so lets either make a third bin for them, or another logical-ish system, and there can be a truck on Tuesday mornings to come get it, along with my trash and recyling each week. a truck paid for by the the wonderful government our tax money fills the pockets of, to make sure the world stays in order (lol) , they can make some people drive around in a truck and come get it. i also have pretty much mastered the art of shipping, so if i would have to ship it somewhere in a box, i would just save one of the boxes of filament i normally use to ship my items and fill it with confetti

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back