What to do with these 2 empty set ups?

ams_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an in experienced reef keeper (currently just added fish to my red sea reefer 170) and have two high tech planted freshwater setups that I am not doing anything with. Any suggestions with what do with them? Macro algae tank? Fish only? Soft coral grow out? Pico reef?

I have:
20g Rimless w/glass cover
10g Rimless w/glass cover
C02Art pressurized c02 system (dual gauge regulator, 2 bubble counters, 2 inline diffusers)
2 TwinStar SA LED Lights (High end, dimmable, sleek and puts out tons of PAR. These are 8k lights that are not spectrum adjustable, designed for freshwater plants)
2 eheim canister filters
2 Glass surface skimmer lily pipes

I have various other freshwater equipment kicking around too (heaters, small pumps, terra cotta pots etc.)

Any and all suggestions welcome.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont have QT tank, use 20G for that. If you do, use both as DT/Sump for frag tank (or just 20G and canister filter) Dont think you will be able to use that light for corals, due to different spectrum at least. I think they may be using 0.5W LEDs as well, but that doent matter since spectrum is not good for frag tank.

OP
OP
A

ams_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, didn’t even consider using one as a sump and the other as a display.

I thought 6/8k lighting promoted fast coral growth but poor colors? I remember reading about 6k Iwasaki metal halide lighting being awesome for pure sps growth (then moved to the display to color up under 20k). Here is a link to the TwinStar LED light if anyone is curious.

Would a small experimental seagrass tank be something to ponder given I have powerful lighting, c02 system and plenty of nutrient dosing salts on hand?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, didn’t even consider using one as a sump and the other as a display.

I thought 6/8k lighting promoted fast coral growth but poor colors? I remember reading about 6k Iwasaki metal halide lighting being awesome for pure sps growth (then moved to the display to color up under 20k). Here is a link to the TwinStar LED light if anyone is curious.

Would a small experimental seagrass tank be something to ponder given I have powerful lighting, c02 system and plenty of nutrient dosing salts on hand?

I will have to let someone who knows about MH speak about that. I never used them way back with my 1st tank, so I would be just straight up guessing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back