What to pair with filter socks? Filtration combo

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So I’ve been thinking of not using a skimmer (been having a situation. It’s a long story)

I have a light to moderate bioload with 5 of the 100 micron filter socks changed twice a week.

I run activated carbon.

I don’t think buying a replacement skimmer would be worth it for my system because most organics are getting aggressively exported by the socks.

I personally believe if anything, growing algae would be a much better idea. Either a standard refugium or a turf scrubber.

My concern with a standard refugium is that the light spill would cause algae to gunk up in my equipment. I do want to maintain lower nutrient levels.

In my dream world, I’d have an algae turf scrubber. I think having algae that is directly absorbing nitrates and phosphates would be ideal for me.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam garden refugium :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: but that will definitely come with lots of light.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I just installed a IceCap Pro In-sump turf scrubber (Small 100) and it's doing really well. Has a pump on it with a adjustable flow valve and the unit sits in the sump. Here's a pic after two weeks, going to clean the screen today. Great product if you have the room for it. It's so easy to setup, literally took five minutes.

20220407_022218.jpg 20220327_015847.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back