What to put between tank and new "hardwood"

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'd like some barrier between potential moisture and my flooring. What kinds of things have you all used? Or suggest?

Worst case it'll be some plastic liner like you throw down when painting, at a minimum

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the thin, firm yoga mats. I keep a couple of them around to lay in front of the tank when doing w/c, etc. Cheers!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually try to get some air circulation under the stand rather than put a barrier. Any barrier may actually cause condensation below it and damage the hardwood floors! Anything foam related will hold in moisture and keep it against the flooring as well probably causing the wood to rot. Any spilled water will seep under the stand and under the barriers... hence holding the moisture against the flooring!

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got water running in a 90 gallon that is on my new wood floors.
I went straight wood to wood, with nothing in between. Plastic would be the worst thing you could put under there.
I left that part of the stand unpainted as well, for two reasons.
  1. No paint sticking to the floor
  2. If any moisture does get under there, the bare wood should help to absorb it, rather than trap it.

VitaminD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build a stand or pan that would hold any possible overflow of sump or leaking. I actually have a drain in bottom of my sealed cabinet to handle this .

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually try to get some air circulation under the stand rather than put a barrier. Any barrier may actually cause condensation below it and damage the hardwood floors! Anything foam related will hold in moisture and keep it against the flooring as well probably causing the wood to rot. Any spilled water will seep under the stand and under the barriers... hence holding the moisture against the flooring!
this was my thought too, air.

my reefer 250 has those plastic feet underneath, so any water spills can dried out.. but I'm on stained concrete

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would install rubber feet on the bottom of your stand to raise it off the ground and allow air under it use towels to keep water from under stand when doing water changes. Plastic will cause condensation and with no air it won't dry and ruin your floors fast, kind of like a wet rug on the floor.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would install rubber feet on the bottom of your stand to raise it off the ground and allow air under it use towels to keep water from under stand when doing water changes. Plastic will cause condensation and with no air it won't dry and ruin your floors fast, kind of like a wet rug on the floor.
after time the rubber will stick to the finish.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another vote for open up the bottom for air movement and enough room for added fab flow in case of a spill. Anything I would think would just make it harder to dry?

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea reefer's plastic feed work wonders and allow air underneath. i would never put a mat down or anything that could trap water

BradNTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A polyurethane "gym floor" finish would seal the floor pretty well. You could even mask off an area, roughly the same dimensions as your cabinet, or go 12-16" wider for extra protection. You can get urethane in clear gloss or clear satin so it would minimize the difference between the rest of your floor.

We are contemplating wood floors sometime soon. I've done some research on this, plus have some experience with polyurethane varnish on work tables and other wood surfaces that needed to be durable and stain resistant. I'm leaning towards giving it a try.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the ideas. @jsker i bought 16 of those feet. I never even thought of that.

The floors are composite hardwood and it's a standard 180 with a 60 gal sump.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for open up the bottom for air movement and enough room for added fab flow in case of a spill. Anything I would think would just make it harder to dry?
you have to put a drain in;)
IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the ideas. @jsker i bought 16 of those feet. I never even thought of that.

The floors are composite hardwood and it's a standard 180 with a 60 gal sump.
Start at the corners and center and then space them evenly. I have wood floors and I can move my filled tank, stand when I need to:)

I designed and made the stand, and I am quite comfortable moving the unit.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back