What to put between tank and new "hardwood"

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nothing.
If water gets under a rubber mat or something, that would be much worse than if there was some air circulation.
My sump sits inside an acrylic tray (my stand has no floor). The tray sits directly on the floor.
The legs of my stand sit directly on the floor.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, if you use 16 of those at 7/8" diameter each. You are going to be close to 250psi on your contact points to the floor. It may be worth looking to see if the floor manufacturer has any specs on load tolerances. Also you will likely want to avoid having any of those feet on the joints between two floor boards.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, if you use 16 of those at 7/8" diameter each. You are going to be close to 250psi on your contact points to the floor. It may be worth looking to see if the floor manufacturer has any specs on load tolerances. Also you will likely want to avoid having any of those feet on the joints between two floor boards.

What about using 8 on a Red Sea 250? (65 gallons I think including sump?)

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine putting something on the wood floor that would hold water against the wood.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend 3/4" starboard in feet/strips. I used it on my 187 5'x30x24.
IMG_20170531_172028.jpg
IMG_20170603_200221.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start at the corners and center and then space them evenly. I have wood floors and I can move my filled tank, stand when I need to:)

I designed and made the stand, and I am quite comfortable moving the unit.
Holy crap!! How big is the tank?

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a Red Sea reefer 425 and looking at updating my flooring first with luxury vinyl planks. Theoretically they are water proof but was wondering if I should all put something under the stand too? I bought a rubber mat from menards which has a short fiber nap on it. Almost like for wiping your feet. Wonder if I should use this or better off with nothing? I wasn't going to have it stick out much past the front of the tank.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in ceramic tile in fish room...would not have a tank on wood
Unfortunately, that ship sailed. My tank is also going in the kitchen/great room which is a big open concept. So that wasn't an option, and builders aren't real flexible unfortunately :/

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine putting something on the wood floor that would hold water against the wood.
I was thinking it would keep the water FROM the floor but it appears my logic was flawed

pappdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'd like some barrier between potential moisture and my flooring. What kinds of things have you all used? Or suggest?

Worst case it'll be some plastic liner like you throw down when painting, at a minimum
Put felt padding under the stand. Let it settle in before completely balancing. It keeps the wood safe and allows circulation

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using 8 on a Red Sea 250? (65 gallons I think including sump?)
Comes out to ~135psi.

I had my 180 gallon straight onto my bamboo floors for ~4 years before we moved. When it came up, you could not even tell that it had been there.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes out to ~135psi.

I had my 180 gallon straight onto my bamboo floors for ~4 years before we moved. When it came up, you could not even tell that it had been there.
Interesting - and how much psi would it be with the 250 tank/stand right on the floor? Just wondering bc while my tank will be on wood floor and I'd like to lift it, I need to consider the stress on the floor as I live up in an apartment building. Although I think under the wood floors is concrete.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - and how much psi would it be with the 250 tank/stand right on the floor? Just wondering bc while my tank will be on wood floor and I'd like to lift it, I need to consider the stress on the floor as I live up in an apartment building. Although I think under the wood floors is concrete.
I'm not familiar with the stand, but if I assume a 3/4" wide base around the perimeter of the tank, it would come out to about 8psi.

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a tray out of 1/4" plastic with a 1-1/4 rise around the outside (sealed). Then cut some plastic (the size of the tank supports and glued those under the tray to raise it up off the floor

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the stand, but if I assume a 3/4" wide base around the perimeter of the tank, it would come out to about 8psi.
wow so just a fraction of the psi if i added the 8 pegs. is that a problem?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a wool area rug under my tank. Wool is naturally water repellant. I also have new wood floors, water and wood don't play well together. That scenario was accidentally tested and worked. Water pumping through tubing filling up the sump somehow popped out and flooded the carpet in front of the tank. The water didn't soak through, it ran off. Immediately I sopped it up with towels, set fans out to dry the carpet. Carpet wasn't stained and it is a very light color. The wood flooring was fine months later when I sold that tank.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add 100% wool. No latex or rubber backing, that's not good on real wood flooring.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back