What to replace Hydra 52 with?

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I have an SCA 150 mixed reef, mostly Zoa’s and LPS and a few SPS.

Currently it’s lit with a Non HD Hydra 52 between two Non HD Hydra 26 inside a 4-tube T5 fixture.
The Hydra 52 has finally quit. It’s been acting weird for a few months (pulsating at low light levels). I tried doing a factory rest and rediscovering it in the AI app, but it won’t Update.
So. Now I need a new center light.

What would be a good replacement? What about a Hydra 32HD?

Thanks!

7A957297-FD87-475E-982D-5D96B72DFB43.jpeg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For similar size and power output, the hydra 32 would only be about half of the 52. However saying that it would maybe be a good idea to go with two hydra 32s rather than one big 64 which is the new version of the 52. BRS did a video on this concept and I think tthe end results were going with two smaller lights and spreading them across would be better than one big. Sticking with the AI would allow all your lights to still be on the same app compared to if you would get the radion, neptune, or kessil lights.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was wondering about the 52 vs 32HD comparison. What you’re saying is the HD component of the 32 HD doesn’t make up for the non HD 52. Thanks!

Edit:
With my T5s, I’m wondering if even the 52 is overkill for my tank? Maybe a single 32 HD would be suffficient? I don’t have a lot of light-hungry SPS.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was wondering about the 52 vs 32HD comparison. What you’re saying is the HD component of the 32 HD doesn’t make up for the non HD 52. Thanks!

Edit:
With my T5s, I’m wondering if even the 52 is overkill for my tank? Maybe a single 32 HD would be suffficient? I don’t have a lot of light-hungry SPS.
Yeah exactly.

And it looks like you could go with an AI Hydra 32 and try one at first and see how things react. And than if you want to in the future add another to get the similar light output of the current 52.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Luxdium. They make replacement pucks, 3 different types, for your lights. I run 16hds and am waiting for the new release for the 16hd's. I plan to replace all 12 I have with the new pucks. You will basically get a new light for around $85. You could easily upgrade to these right now.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Luxdium. They make replacement pucks, 3 different types, for your lights. I run 16hds and am waiting for the new release for the 16hd's. I plan to replace all 12 I have with the new pucks. You will basically get a new light for around $85. You could easily upgrade to these right now.
I looked into that and like what I see! I may get their pucks for my Hydra 26s.

Unfortunately, my Hydra 52 looks like a firmware issue. It won’t take an update from AI no matter how many times I factory reset it. I can Discover the fixture, but without the Update, it won’t light up.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…..

I’ve been looking at the Red Sea ReefLED 90 for quite a while. I guess now is the time to pull the trigger!

I know I’ll be using two different apps for light control, but once I set them up I’ll never have to do it again.

It should deliver later this week!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There won't be a 16HD Lux upgrade. The 16HD is the one AI light without replaceable pucks.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the ReefLED 90 up and running. So far, so good!
I’ll stick with the Hydras on the outsides for as long as they last.
Hydras vs ReefLED 90? I wish I would have spent the extra $$ and gotten a Hydra 32HD instead. The 90 light is more concentrated, has more shimmer (too much) and the moon light programming is finicky (Can’t have an evening plus morning moonlight).
The Hydras produce more pop in the blue ranges during my sunset wind down, more than the Red Sea light does. For that reason, when the Hydras finally quit, I’ll most likely replace them with new Hydras!
1B6C7701-0033-4CE8-A7A3-02FADF8F1671.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back