What type of lighting are you currently running over your reef aquarium?

What type of lighting are you currently running over your reef aquarium?

• LED Only

Votes: 498 59.6%
  • Metal Halide Only

Votes: 16 1.9%
  • T5 Only

Votes: 64 7.7%
  • Sunlight Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LED and Metal Halide Combo

Votes: 15 1.8%
  • LED and T5 Combo

Votes: 193 23.1%
  • Metal Halide and T5 Combo

Votes: 25 3.0%
  • LED, Metal Halide and T5 Combo

Votes: 20 2.4%
  • Other (please note in a post)

Votes: 4 0.5%

• Total voters

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my IM40 I have a 4-bulb 24" Odyssea fixture with 2x ATI Coral-Plus, 1x ATI Blue-Plus and 1x ATI Actinic. I also have a PAR38 bulb that I use on the weekends when I don't want to wait 4 hours for T5 schedule to come on. Also have an AI Prime HD on my IM10.

I've been trying to figure out my next move. I hated the regular Odyssea legs over my stand, so I built a quick wood stand and I think I hate that even more. I don't think I could justify spending more than $300-400 on a light fixture, but it also has to have full 24" coverage of the tank and be powerful enough to feed my SPS and anemones and get through 18-19" of water...oh and it needs to be sleek and attractive. Thinking about taking the AI Prime HD, getting another one, and putting them onto the IM40, then putting a Kessil A80 on the IM10. Especially after seeing everything at MACNA. I need some shimmer in my tank!

EDIT: I hope this question gets polled every 6 months. I feel like lighting is changing the most in this hobby. I also am hoping that this hits like 10-15 pages and I can compile some data.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Kessil A360WE Tuna Blues over my 55 gallon mixed reef tank
71bcb732379c7bdff5aa2d2fc0a3ded2.jpg

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil a350w is the light I use on my 30 gallon. Im surprised leds are leading the majority of votes. Im guessing the plug and play simplicity is what makes them so popular.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Mitras over my 4x2x2

(first post - greetings from UK)
First off welcome to R2R!
Curious as to how many you are running?
I have 2 over my 120 (4 × 2 × 2). Running a 14 - 15k spectrum at 100% wasn't really giving me the par I needed. Already had 4 x t5 lying dormant in my canopy from my last lighting setup so i turned them on and now I have the par I need and great color as well. (2 ati blue+ and 2 coral+).
I'd probably need at least another Mitras if not two to get the par I'd want and need. I certainly love the colors from the Mitras alone. That along with the spread and color mixing. If they weren't so expensive.

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a kessil 160we over my 18x18x10 shallow cube. I'm also running a rapid Led par 38 full spectrum over my 7.5 gallon bow front I just set up.

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months of " ridiculous" research (at least that is what my wife called it) I finally decided on a Hamilton Cebu Sun MH/T5. I love it so far and have no plans to change. I'm not to tech savvy and knew I would mess with the settings of an led and get it out of wack. Just have it running on timers and it works perfect.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a t 5 over the 75 & 165 black boxes over the 180 fish only. I gotta say I really like the t5 light.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What kind of LED bar is that? How long?

It's the SB Reef's SBAR Supplemental Actinic Bar light and it's 72". Not easy to hang it along with all those Kessil. So I created a couple of tiled mount and have it sit on the tank. It looks really sweet, as you can see on the picture. :)

In case anyone getting the same light bar and need to have it sit on the tank, you can download my tilted stand here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2524145

By the way, this Artinic Bar light is a good supplement to other whiter light source such as metal halide. Since the Kessil already is quite blue, it doesn't quite go together. If I knew, I would have get the 50/50 one instead. I'm about the sale it and buy the 50/50 one.

Last edited:

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Love the stand. Do I order it from you if I need one? Couldn't quite tell from the link

It's the SB Reef's SBAR Supplemental Actinic Bar light and it's 72". Not easy to hang it along with all those Kessil. So I created a couple of tiled mount and have it sit on the tank. It looks really sweet, as you can see on the picture. :)

In case anyone getting the same light bar and need to have it sit on the tank, you can download my tilted stand here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2524145

By the way, this Artinic Bar light is a good supplement to other whiter light source such as metal halide. Since the Kessil already is quite blue, it doesn't quite go together. If I knew, I would have get the 50/50 one instead. I'm about the sale it and buy the 50/50 one.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thingiverse.com is for sharing 3D design. Anyone can download the design and 3D Print it themselves. Some library have 3D printer for people to print as well. If you need it and can't find someone to print locally, I can print it for you. Just give me the shipping charge will do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back