What type of tank do you keep your eels in?

Do you keep your eels in FOWLR or Reef tanks?

• Total voters

UM Aquarium Club

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't currently keep any eels but have always been excited with the idea of keeping a zebra moray in our reef tank. How many of you keep eels in your reef tanks and how many don't combine coral with their eels? I'd love to see some pics!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to see pics, there's this thread.https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-eels.323308/

I've found the zebra eel can be very destructive in a reef, there are things you can do to make it work. They will usually camp out in a couple of spots and have a pathway that they use usually in the lower 1/3 of the tank next to rocks. keeping corals out of their pathway will help, if not they can be rough on the corals in their way.

OP
OP
UM Aquarium Club

UM Aquarium Club

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to see pics, there's this thread.https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-eels.323308/

I've found the zebra eel can be very destructive in a reef, there are things you can do to make it work. They will usually camp out in a couple of spots and have a pathway that they use usually in the lower 1/3 of the tank next to rocks. keeping corals out of their pathway will help, if not they can be rough on the corals in their way.

What sort of eels are less destructive in a reef tank? I had always though the zebra eels were a good option as they were more likely to munch on some of the clean up crew rather than the fish in the tank. First saw eels in reef tanks at Exotic Aquariums, one of our local stores which has a very large display tank in the front of the store that they used to have a fairly large zebra eel in.

Here's a shot I found on google, sorry for the quality but couldn't find a better one. Had lots of space around the bottom of the tank with large areas in the rockwork to move around.

2azpCFl8g6lWlMi5FgDyr6J00h4-Yjb7e64F2p2YRErNuligXiIFEpSKh5DtsWyvDA5cpzheSCMtyxYuGvrFEXnPEBV_t-DZV22nl1Kt0Dhp6-lz5L6W2GCjkmxV73TWcwsQCNBSG4rftPhaaMQBkoMt_g

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just that the zebra is such a large eel, regularly and easily 4' plus and thick; so if you have room and are careful about coral placement it does work. The snowflake, chainlink, and skeletor get about 1/2 the size of a zebra; and are just as safe with fish of adequate size. I like the skeletor the best, the best looking and you don't see them as often.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back