What would be considered A rare clam

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have seen alot of rare corals heck some that cost like 5 grand per chalice ..Is there A clam that fits that bill? what is considered the rarest clam and is it the most expensive type ?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black and White Maxima is considered a rare clam. Also the Blue dot Squamosa. Depending on size they can run a pretty penny.

Out of those two probably the squammy.

Last edited:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, blue (not just dot) squammies and derasas. Also, I think blue maximas with a bright orange/yellow edge to the mantle

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the Squammy, I should have just put the "blue squammy". Maybe it's just me but I don't think dersa is anywhere on the list. I have two and love them but don't consider them Grade A or anything.

Also Blazin' has a good point. Rare is not really a good word to describe.

Last edited:

fishypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a rare clam.

blueteardrop.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 rare clams. I have a blue Derasa, a blue spot Sqamosa and a blue teardrop Maxima. I have also had a black and white Maxima that is pictured in my signature pic, I actually consider all 3 clams in the pic rare. I haven't seen a Squamosa that was as green as the one and any colored teardrop Maxima is rare.

Blue spot Squamosa
DSCN2965.jpg

Blue Derasa
DSCN2827.jpg

Blue teardrop Maxima
DSCN2316.jpg

texsun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, I'd say blue teadrops, b/w maximas and blue squamosas are the most rare. Some of the less rare but still rare clams I've owned:

IMG_0886.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg

clams.jpg

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clam012.jpg

with flash
clam005.jpg

Here is my baby!!! Have had em for about a year now. Still looking for a black and white one!!!

Last edited:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang....now I'm also wanting more clams *sighs*

It's rough comparing clams to the other coral varieties though, so many of the LPS, SPS, Zoa's, etc, are known by a specific color morph or even a specific original colony-fragging clams doesn't go so well so you end up with less specific rarity, but as above posters have shown, there's some very uncommon color varieties that are still non-unique

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-

http://www.3reef.com/forums/attachm...ck-maxima-clam-riptides-reef-orablackclam.jpg
ORA black "zebra" maxima clams are rarer than your blue squammies and such. As soon as you say rare, people have pictures of teardrop maximas and all the rest, but you never see many pics of these; think about it. According to ORA, they sell all their black's (and theirs are so-so... its hit and miss as to what you end up with really) to the EU because there are more there who are willing to pay top dollar for clams unlike here where the supply of all the other clams would make paying $800 or more for a black clam seem crazy.

This is what a good zebra black maxima should look like: http://wtfragit.com/images/37.jpg
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/images/clams/MaximaBlack.jpg
http://www.orafarm.com/images/maxima_zebra.jpg
Even rarer than that, and the most rare and beautiful I would have to say, is the black galaxy maxima. Its black with little speck size spots of that glowing white/blue that makes it look like the sky at night. Ive only seen a couple ever. This one is close, but imagine all the spots as only round dots, not oblong or striped:
max6_colony.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/unique-corals/47063-black-white-maxima-clam-ultra-maxima.html

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, so what's the difference between "rare" and rarely seen due to unattractiveness? :wink:

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like the difference between a purple tang and a black tang where rarity means high price even though if it were a common fish nobody would want to keep it because its otherwise totally plain looking?

The thing is, black maximas look soooo cool. Maybe you have to see one in person to get it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back