What would do you differently?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brine

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
41
Location
Brooklyn
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody makes mistakes! Fumbling the ball is a part of learning how to be ready for that next pass (still rooting Mavs here event though Celts look like they're taking the chip :frowning-face:)

One of the biggest mistakes I made was thinking I could handle it. My last tank came a long way in the 8 years I had it going but I began to experience the reality that is... well, life. Vacations, visiting the lovely in-laws and relatives, having kids, the kinds of things that life has in store! Eventually it came to the point we just couldn't keep up with the tank's needs so instead of forcing the life inside it to slowly wither out, we chose to let it go. Do I regret it? Nah... maybe just a tiny bit but all in all I am content with the way life has turned out since. If I could have done things differently, I probably would've invested in some automation though it was very new to reefing at the time.

So my question for you all is: If you had another go, what's something you'd have done different?
 
No equipment under the tank. The only way I’m getting another tank is it will be in the 300-500g range, the house will have been built for it, and it would have a fully dedicated sump/equipment room behind the tank. Super easy maintenance with a sink and tub to clean and handle everything. All cement/waterproof flooring and humidity control for the whole thing would be thought of, designed, and installed ahead of time.
 
Would’ve gone slightly bigger. Starting to run out of room in my nano cube. I think I would’ve done a bigger ratio of dry:live rock to start with but this is nothing that multiple tank syndrome cant solve
 
Go big or go home! I dont think my wife would be too keen on anything over 100gal but perhaps I'll ask :)
 
Everybody makes mistakes! Fumbling the ball is a part of learning how to be ready for that next pass (still rooting Mavs here event though Celts look like they're taking the chip :frowning-face:)

One of the biggest mistakes I made was thinking I could handle it. My last tank came a long way in the 8 years I had it going but I began to experience the reality that is... well, life. Vacations, visiting the lovely in-laws and relatives, having kids, the kinds of things that life has in store! Eventually it came to the point we just couldn't keep up with the tank's needs so instead of forcing the life inside it to slowly wither out, we chose to let it go. Do I regret it? Nah... maybe just a tiny bit but all in all I am content with the way life has turned out since. If I could have done things differently, I probably would've invested in some automation though it was very new to reefing at the time.

So my question for you all is: If you had another go, what's something you'd have done different?
Invest in better test kits and be more hands-on from the beginning! Just because your tank looks like it's doing well doesn't mean that it is actually doing well. :upside-down-face:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new